Fun With AutoStitch On Top Of Whiteface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun With AutoStitch On Top Of Whiteface

Just fooling around with the camera over the weekend. This panorama is actually five photos stitched together using AutoStitch. Taken at the top of Whiteface (actually, just under the top, where the lift lets you off).

I used a polarizing filter, but I don't feel like it did any good.

Rule #123 (subpart c)...never use a polarizer for panoramics or wide angle lenses (lenses with a FOV equiv to or wider than a 24mm lens on a 35mm SLR).

The reason, the polarizer has a limited FOV which it remains constant based on the angle of the sun. Even at 24/28mm on a film camera you start to see the falloff.

With panos when you move across the frame you are changing your angle to the sun.

Your exposure looks really good though, and I can't see the effect of the polarizer. Did you shoot it vertical or horizontal?

I killed a pano last summer with a polarizer, forgot it was on, and no amount of photoshoping would correct the blotched areas. I'll redo it this summer.
    sigpic

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Mountain Visions: The Wilderness Through My Eyes

Comment

Ah! That makes sense. Thanks!

To answer your question, I shot the photos horizontal. It really is a fantastic view up there. And I like the skiers on the lift in the lower left-hand corner. I think it gives the photo a nice perspective.

Comment

My wife was chatting with me while I was looking at that thread and she thought the ski lifts were a nice addin.

You'll have to go back and see if you can get a lower perspective, less sky and more lifts.

I'm looking forward to the spring/summer as I am looking forward to climbing the ski slides, your post was a nice reminder to run over my ideas and to get her looking forward to black fly season and the 5 slides.
        sigpic

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Mountain Visions: The Wilderness Through My Eyes

Comment

Working...
        X