Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
JimB

I wouldn't bother with full suspension because most of the race is on dirt roads. This year it will start in Indian Lake so there is a long blacktop section before you enter the dirt road section. If you are new to racing don't get caught up in the racing and burn yourself out on the road section and be shot for when the big hills start. One year I stayed with the front group from Inlet to the Limekiln gate and ended up being passed by fat ladies on Huffys after reality set in. If you can ride a moderate pace you can finish before the stuff is packed up at the finish. They hand out water along the way but you should bring your own nutrition(GU, Powergels, etc.) and take care of the wrappers. Last year I rode a 29er with knobby tires blown up to close to maximum pressure and was glad I had them as I passed many people on the loose surface downhill sections. The ones who average 20 are road racers in a paceline/pack on mostly cross bikes. Thats how smooth the course is. The road section near Indian Lake can be a lot of fun when drafting and using a paceline.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
Edb 46 er

Jim, I think I was passed by those two fat ladys on Huffys too.

I was considering entering this year, I passed on last year due to mechanical issues. This year my 29er is up to spec minus some new brake pads. I put 400 miles on a new cassette,chain and bottom bracket and have realized I need a new chain at this point. I ride the Boonville canal system and the dust and sand wears my drivetrain out that much faster even with proper cleaning and maintenance. As soon as this snow is gone I am adhering to a new diet plan and cycling routine. I may just camp out at Inlet the night before someplace and take the bus to Indian in the morning and then after the race catch a ride back to Boonville.
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #23
JimB

I have a goal of doing the Wilmington 100 the week after the BF so I also am trying to lose some weight and get in the miles. We rode 1 1/2 hours today in some pretty cold/wet conditions. I have lots of bikes so my Stumpjumper 29er just sits there waiting for good conditions.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #24
bridgeman

Hardtail or Cross Bike is the ticket for the blackfly. Also, go with a less agressive tire. I've raced about 10 times at BF and normally run semi slicks with the pressure jacked up to maximum.
There's a small section of single track on the Inlet end of the race this year that is mostly downhill.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #25
Edb 46 er

I am trying to lose some winter fat around the mid section. I just can't carry the extra 10lbs in my midsection. Going to try a fast type diet while I ride.
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
hillman1
skiing demi-god

I'm definitely doing this race this season--camping out up there somewhere friday night. My first race since sometime in the 1990's....If I don't completely suck, I'm hoping to do the wilmington 100 the next week too. I'm way out of racing shape, I just want to be in not taking last place shape. I'm either catching the shuttle or figuring out a way to set a shuttle up in the morning. Hope to see you guys all there.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote