Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
hillman1
skiing demi-god

Wilmington 100

Anybody on here race this or even just try the course? Tossing around the idea of entering next June if they do it again. I watched some footage on youtube and it seems like a pretty good way to torture my self for 5-6 hours on a perfectly nice summer day
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
hillman1
skiing demi-god

Wow-no replies. Anyway, it looks like it's going to be June 16th this year. I'm hoping to finish well before last place.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
JimB

Doug, thanks for the info on this event, I'd never heard of it but I think I might be up for it. I've done the Wilderness 101 4 times(3 times on a tandem in the 90's and once solo about 5 years ago) and am aware of the amount of suffering involved. After taking a few years off from cycling to build a house I got a new 29er and some buds who do some serious riding. Sounds like a training goal.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
hillman1
skiing demi-god

I wonder what the final climb up whiteface is like, and do they make you go to the summit or little whiteface? That will be a heck of a way to end a day in the saddle
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
hillman1
skiing demi-god

Wilderness 101 looks pretty good. If I can fit it in I'm going to give that a try too
Old 11-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
JimB

I checked out the map and the course outline, it looks like the climb is up the jeep road to the top of the quad lift. Then it descend back to the finish line. When I raced a lot of NORBA events we always did a hillclimb event that finished at the summit of a ski area. That wasn't after you had just pedaled 55K though.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
hillman1
skiing demi-god

I've been averaging about 100 miles a week, did 138 this week. I need to up it a bit for this, start doing one ride a week that is at least 4-5 hours I think. I'm hoping to have a light winter so I can stay outside on the bike and skip the rollers. I'm thinking these types of races are going to be a lot harder than the ones I did at Song mtn and Highland forest way back when I was young.--I also need to start going to where I can get a bit more climbing in. Oswego and the surrounding areas are not cutting it
Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
JimB

I'll probably keep doing my 1 or 2 rides a week (hour to hour and a half each) and get in some XC skiing if the snow gets here. It's great you can get in the miles.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Riosacandaga
soggy

Whewww 100miles on a MTB.... I think 50 would be my comfort zone.... although this event looks like a good time: http://www.tsepic.com/
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
JimB

That Transylvania stage race is held on many of the same trails as the original Wilderness 101 that I had mentioned doing in the past. That area of Pennsylvania near State College has some real epic riding. Back in the 90's my brother and I made many trips down there to compete. When I heard they had brought back the Wilderness 101 it was great to go back and revisit the area. I saw last year in Dirt Rag that they had broken it up into a stage type race and added some new trails. It is a spectacular area to ride with miles of abandoned railbeds complete with old tunnels to ride through. Some of the climbs are over 4 miles long. It would be a great trip to make.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
Norm

I just came across this thread. I friend of mine raced the wilminton 100 2 years ago & I think will be doing it this year. She is very nice (as all my friends are) and I am sure she would answer any questions you have. Tell her "Norm" sent you.

http://www.margaretthompsoncycling.com/
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
JimB

Norm, thanks for the link to Margaret's site. As a former NORBA official and race promoter/racer I have known Margaret, Phil and MK for many years though I hadn't seen them in a while. It's great to see how much she is still accomplishing even though she is 29 now.