Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Spring Fever

Anyone been getting out?

Haven't done any riding in the Adirondacks yet, but I've been out a few times riding around locally this Spring... a few photos from the smartphone to share...

Bunny Hop:

Last edited by Justin; 04-06-2013 at 06:25 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Riosacandaga
soggy

Nice. Where are you riding? Looks pretty dry.
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

So far just around near my home in the town of Colonie, NY....Friendly neighborhoods and on a few trails near my house, & in the Pine Bush Preserve.

(Edit: Tick Warning... once again, ticks are absolutely insane in the Pine Bush Preserve!)

Last edited by Justin; 04-06-2013 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Watch out for ticks!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
JimB

I just did 7 miles today with microspikes near my house. Maybe in a week or so we can get on the bike somewhere besides the back roads.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

...A few more photos to add from old familiar trails near my house...

Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
toothlessannie

Justin, I've been slogging through the elements for the last couple of months, March was nasty this year, but with the right equipment you could ride; here's a typical early spring day on the fixed gear...

toothlessannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Sharp looking bike TA, thanks for sharing.
I used to be way more dedicated, even riding during the winter months when weather would allow. Cleaning salt & sand off the bike was sometimes a daily chore.
It definitely feels good to be out riding around again...I missed it, its been a while.
Headed out for another cruise this evening, can't wait.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Just to share one of my favorite bike routes around Colonie from my house that I've done countless times before...all of my photos in this thread so far were taken on this route:

Old 04-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
JimB

Nice fixie TA, it's been years since I rode one. The brakes are a nice feature. My son lives in Portland and it is like the fixie capital of the world, they are everywhere. Nice trails Justin.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
toothlessannie

Thanks, it's a good way to get through the slush season without trashing the roadbike. Very low maintenance.
toothlessannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

Spring '14 bump

Anyone been getting out?
I once again have bitten by the biking bug, and have been riding around town here in the Capital District over the last few weeks, in between snowshoeing and enjoying what is left of winter up in the Adirondacks. To be honest, exploring the Adks by foot is my true passion, but with that being said, I'd like to do a bit more riding and touring in the Adks this summer.
Anyone have any suggestions on good 'beginner to intermediate' mountain bike routes?
Say, somewhere around 25-35 miles total, with a possible overnight campout? Preferably an out & back trip, or loop of some sort for now.
I did an overnight trip to Newcomb Lake a few years ago. That was fun, but looking for something a bit different.
I've been riding most of my life, usually 10-20 miles every few days locally, with moderate grades. My horse is old, but she's been modified and maintained over the years to accommodate my needs, and has been great to me for over 15 years. I keep meaning to invest in a new ride, but sentimental reasons combined with lack of need has prevented me from doing so.
Any other recommendations or links regarding information for new bikes, gear, bike maintenance, guides, other biking websites, routes, etc would be greatly appreciated also.
Thanks.
- Justin

Last edited by Justin; 04-13-2014 at 09:00 PM..
Old 04-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Justin,

I just started road riding again for the season(season #32) last week. I squeeze in as many lunch time rides as possible, up to 20-24 miles some days, most days just 18 miles or so..
In years past, I've commuted to work on my mountain bike, this year I have those motorcycles...I'm torn.

I remember your bike trip in and out from Newcomb Lake, I think I may have been in the area...

As far as mountain bike routes, there are routes near Horseshoe Lake that go as far as Hitchins Pond and beyond.
How about the Essex Chain area? I'm not sure whether bikes are OK though. If only you could hop across the Cedar.

I built my road bike, assembled, really. I got a great deal on an excellent full Titanium frame and bought and assembled a perfect (for me) ride.
A buddy just bought a Ribble frameset (full carbon) and built his road bike last year.
We both saved much.
The place where he bought from, Ribble, has all sorts road and track bikes, but no Mt bikes. I did a quick search, there's an awful lot of high end stuff out there, but it's pricey. Plenty of quality used stuff that you could upgrade/repair.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Justin-I have ridden my touring bike through the MRPWF a couple of times and enjoyed the trip, there are also several bike-able trails in there, I have been to Mitchell Ponds by bike and with a MTB it would be easier. I think that some of the other trails in there are supposed to be good rides and it is all WF so I do not think there is any legal limit on where you can ride.
I went bicycling today for the second time this year, first time was last Sunday. I had not ridden since November but much to my surprise I still remembered how. It has been at least 10 years since I went that long without. Pictures are from the Salmon River Falls and upper reservoir, it felt sort of surreal to be wearing shorts, T shirt and sandals while standing on 3 inches of ice on the shoreline in 75 degree temperatures. I bought my bike on eBay for $500 a few years ago, it is a 1998 Trek 520 and is a huge step up from the 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour that I rode for 5 years before that. I began my research into what bike to buy by considering what I wanted to do with the bike and then considering the price and quality range, for me it was not too hard of a decision but with a MTB there seem to be a lot of different variables and choices. I have not had one for years and when I did they were just cheap ones, I don't have use for one often enough around here to justify keeping one and I can't ride one all the way to the Blue Line, though there are places I go up there where it would be a lot handier for off-road use than what I have.
Zach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4130001.jpg (83.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg P4130002.jpg (39.5 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg P4130004.jpg (58.1 KB, 157 views)
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for the help, guys.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
Riosacandaga
soggy

google "bike packing adirondacks" there are many options. Speculator "MTB" trails are dirt roads but there are spurs off into the woods (ride south to Griffin gorge is a nice ride.
Piseco-Powley road and Ferris Lake Wild forest. Tomantown Road has been re surfaced for logging. Along East Stoeny Creek to Harrisburg/Stoney Creek...
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Great info Rio, Thank you.
I camped along Powley Road last summer, and was kicking myself for not bringing my bike. Next time for sure.
Same with the Moose River Plains. One of these years I'd really like to do the BFC.
A loop that I'm currently considering in the MRP is a Plains Road-Little Moose Lake-Otter Brook loop....
I believe this is legal, no?
Thoughts?

Last edited by Justin; 04-14-2014 at 09:57 PM..
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
bmike-vt

I too have spring fever. Got out for a S24O after work with some friends last weekend on this side of the pond (VT). WE did pavement and dirt to a local state park (still closed). Lean to, a beer and dinner, then bed, to ride home in a very cold rain Sunday morning.

Lewis Creek Bridge, at night, lit by my dyno light:

I've ridden MRP from the east to the west on a through trip from Burlington to the Utica area. Here is a write up:

http://littlecirclesvt.com/2011/08/adk-bikepacking/

I want to get back and explore the Otter Brook Truck Trail, and other trails - I had a longer route planned that incorporated more forest roads and snomo / mtb trails - but had to cut the trip a bit short. I also want to fit Powley - Piseco Rd. into the mix.
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for the reply Bmike, and awesome trip report!
Very cool!
Stony Lonesome Road from Penfield Pond to Paradox is another route I've been wanting to ride for a while, as my father and his friend own property on Flemings Pond.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #19
JimB

Justin/guys, I bought a Fatbike in January (inspired partially by BMikes TR's) and I rode all winter locally with a side trip to Ocala Fl. Highly recommend MTBR forum, it has a sub forum for everything you could ever want to follow. Went on a fast road ride this AM with my commuter bike ,trying to get my speed back for our MTB group rides which will start very soon. Been getting info/gear for bikepacking to expand my riding adventures. Have been following this forum, keep posting the rides/trips.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #20
Justin
Moving along

Thanks Jim.