Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
mulveyr

Blackfly Challenge 2015

This will be my second year doing the course, and my 14-year-old son's first. Looks like it will probably be a bit wet, but we're really looking forward to the race tomorrow!
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
Bark Eater Too

Have fun. Please wave to the Cedar River for me on your way through!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:50 AM   #3
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Just looked it up. Sounds fun! Good luck!

39/46 get'n closer
19/46 barefoot
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
mulveyr

Gorgeous day for the ride! My son finished 20 minutes faster than me. I only called him a jerk a couple of times. :-) The MRP road was in amazingly good condition--props to the Inlet and Indian Lake road crews.

Huge amounts of fun--everything from mountain bikes to road bikes to at least one tandem. Everyone should ride it at least once. :-)
Old 06-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Congrats to both of you!

Would a regular road bike handle this course or would it need to be more of a hybrid with fatter tires?

39/46 get'n closer
19/46 barefoot
Old 06-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondackiteer View Post
Congrats to both of you!

Would a regular road bike handle this course or would it need to be more of a hybrid with fatter tires?
Thanks!

I actually use a road bike with 42mm treadless tires, which was fine for everything except the mile of muddy single-track at the end--I slipped around a lot. :-) Most people used mountain and cross bikes, but there were definitely quite a few hybrids as well. 90% of the course is gravel road, so really, you can use just about anything that you're comfortable riding. Fatter tires would be best, but I saw a couple of people with 25mm road tires--I imagine they were more than a little numb by the end, though. :-)
Old 06-14-2015, 10:50 PM   #7
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Do you mean it was 90% paved? I took my fattest-tired road bike down a gravel road by my house (1 1/8" tires) and would rather not do that again, and it was only about 1 mile or so. Survivable yeah, but not raceable and the front tire was slipping and sliding all over the place. I could always swap tires around, especially after I get my third bike up and running (probably not for another year or so I'll have enough time to work on that bike).

39/46 get'n closer
19/46 barefoot
Old 06-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #8
Bark Eater Too

First 10-11 miles or so are paved. The rest is dirt. Quality of the grading on the dirt can vary tremendously year to year based upon the weather.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Did the race for the first time this year. If I were to do it again, I would use a tricross bike or put thinner tires/slicks on my MTB.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Did the race for the first time this year. If I were to do it again, I would use a tricross bike or put thinner tires/slicks on my MTB.

Yep, cross bikes are definitely the way to go if you want to be at all competitive. My guess is that probably a couple dozen people are there to win, while the majority are just having fun--in which case simply riding what you have is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKf2mOOJRzM is a video I took of the first 90 minutes, running at 2X speed.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #11
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
First 10-11 miles or so are paved. The rest is dirt. Quality of the grading on the dirt can vary tremendously year to year based upon the weather.
They've apparently done a lot of work in the past year--even with all the rain in the MRP this past week, the road was extremely well drained with the exception of a small washout on the shoulder near Fawn Mountain, and one very small muddy area on the sandy part at the bottom. The MRP road itself was nice and solid.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #12
ask0329

My cousin and i will be attempting this for the first time in 2016 on MTB's. Cant wait.
ask0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #13
mulveyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask0329 View Post
My cousin and i will be attempting this for the first time in 2016 on MTB's. Cant wait.
You'll have fun! MTBs won't be competitive in the overall standings, but they're likely to be a lot more comfortable for some of the rougher bits. :-)

I've never done any other gravel/etc races, but have been very pleased with the ride both times I've done it; at least in the "riding for fun" crowd at the back of the pack, people have been very, very nice and clearly enjoying the ride.