2016 Black Fly challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Black Fly challenge

Anyone planning on riding it this year? This will be my third time out; my 14-year-old went with me in 2015 and beat me by 15 minutes, so I clearly need to train some more lest he think I'm getting old. :-)

Originally posted by mulveyr View Post
    Anyone planning on riding it this year? This will be my third time out; my 14-year-old went with me in 2015 and beat me by 15 minutes, so I clearly need to train some more lest he think I'm getting old. :-)
    I'm in, first time was last year and enjoyed it. I'm thinking this years Inlet to Indian lake leg is going to be significantly easier.

Comment

I'm in for my first time ever this year. My cousin is attempting it as well for the first time. My brother is in the process of bike shopping and he may give it a go. Really excited about this.

We're in the process of evaluating our tire or should I say tyre situation right now. we just ordered a set of Schwable hurricane tires to test them out localy. Fairly smooth up the middle with knobs on the outter edges. they have a good durability rating and above average rolling rate. We'll have 29's on so hopefully that will help out in gaining a bit more top end speed.

Anyone have any other tips or suggestions feel free to pass them along to some first times. I watched a few videos and seen allot of folks with the water bladder backpacks. Is this a common practice? I think if your looking for speed and to place well this would cut down on the water stops.
      Last edited by ask0329; 04-06-2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Creekwader View Post
        I'm in, first time was last year and enjoyed it. I'm thinking this years Inlet to Indian lake leg is going to be significantly easier.
        I've done it both directions, and they each have their advantages. I found the Inlet to Indian Lake direction initially tougher because you're only just starting when you have the sequence of steep climbs after entering the MRP--not a lot of time to warm up. On the other hand, the last 20 miles are pretty much almost all downhill going into IL ( mostly fairly gradual ), so that's pretty nice if you're tired. :-)

I wouldn't say either way is significantly easier than the other, but it's fun no matter which end you start at. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ask0329 View Post
          I'm in for my first time ever this year. My cousin is attempting it as well for the first time. My brother is in the process of bike shopping and he may give it a go. Really excited about this.

We're in the process of evaluating our tire or should I say tyre situation right now. we just ordered a set of Schwable hurricane tires to test them out localy. Fairly smooth up the middle with knobs on the outter edges. they have a good durability rating and above average rolling rate. We'll have 29's on so hopefully that will help out in gaining a bit more top end speed.

Anyone have any other tips or suggestions feel free to pass them along to some first times. I watched a few videos and seen allot of folks with the water bladder backpacks. Is this a common practice? I think if your looking for speed and to place well this would cut down on the water stops.
          Almost nobody stops for water--you'll just slow down and grab the bottles as you go through the feed zones.

I run the race on 42mm road tires, and they're absolutely fine for when the MRP road is damp or dry. If it's a wet spring, I have a set of Rock 'N Roads that will be used. The fastest riders have been using cross style tires, so not a whole lot of tread required--it is 25% pavement and the rest firm dirt and gravel, after all.

Comment

I'm in for my 5th year. Love this ride.

Comment

Love that trail.
              But endurance is the key.
              Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

My wife and I are in for the first time. I rode from Old Forge to Indian Lake in 2005, through the plains, but I don't remember any specifics. We're looking forward to it.
                ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Just 6 days away. Cant wait to bike through the land I love.

Comment

Anyone been out on the MRP and can speak as to the condition of the road? It's been in excellent shape the past two years, so I'm hoping the trend continues for 2016.

Comment

Another one in the books!

In spite of a start that can be most charitably described as "really wet", it was a fun ride. Things cleared up enough after about an hour that the occasional drizzle for the rest of the ride was just enough to keep things cool, not unpleasant.

I was a little concerned about using my slicks on the softened road, but the worked fine everywhere except for one descent on the back side of Wakely where I slide sideways across the entire road.

How was everyone's ride?

Comment

My first BFC and my very first bike race ever! Yea, it was wet and rather soft but I had a ball. Gotta get in better shape for the next one though.

Comment

I did it for the 7th time, including the very first one 21 years ago. It was discouraging standing in the pouring rain at the start but , once we got going, I had on just the right gear other than some long fingered gloves. My back got hurting towards the end and I finished in 3:07, pretty good for me with the soft sand. I saw our own Kyler and Hillman during the day.
                          I'm not a Hippie, just a well groomed Mountain Man.

Comment

Other than a sand seized front derailleur for the trip up wilson ridge, fogged up glasses, and occasional rain/sweat in the eyes...it was a good race! Sounds like a bad accident on the Red River bridge, hope everyone was OK.

Comment

Originally posted by JimB View Post
                              I did it for the 7th time, including the very first one 21 years ago. It was discouraging standing in the pouring rain at the start but , once we got going, I had on just the right gear other than some long fingered gloves. My back got hurting towards the end and I finished in 3:07, pretty good for me with the soft sand. I saw our own Kyler and Hillman during the day.
                              Excellent! I must have been just a little ahead; I was at 3:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X