Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

Hammock-compatible bag

Anyone ever try one of these? They seem like they would be a good answer if you only wanted to buy one thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=619j3Swj4YA
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Wldrns

Looks like an interesting design of the bag itself. However, when I tell anyone unfamiliar with hammock camping, the first comment I get is usually " I can't sleep on my back in a "U" shape". I can't either, whereupon I tell them that a well designed camping hammock allows you to lay comfortably off center almost flat, including side sleepers.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Looks like an interesting design of the bag itself. However, when I tell anyone unfamiliar with hammock camping, the first comment I get is usually " I can't sleep on my back in a "U" shape". I can't either, whereupon I tell them that a well designed camping hammock allows you to lay comfortably off center almost flat, including side sleepers.
Yes, that's one thing that intrigued me about it. They said it was wider so you could offset a bit. I've mastered the flat lie on my back, but not yet on my side. Someone asked that question on the vid. Their answer was:

Great point on the diagonal lay Claus! The extra width of our hammock compatible bags compared to our standard mummy style sleeping bags allows for a partial diagonal lay in the hammock that some of us utilize. A full diagonal lay is only possible with a under-quilt and top-quilt, two items we hope to add to our Hyke & Byke product offerings in the future.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
snapper
snapper

While I like the idea, I think I'll stick with my top & under quilt for now. I really need the diagonal lay in my hammock. I'm not sure their "partial" lay would be enough for me and I don't have the additional funds to find out

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
While I like the idea, I think I'll stick with my top & under quilt for now. I really need the diagonal lay in my hammock. I'm not sure their "partial" lay would be enough for me and I don't have the additional funds to find out

snapper
I'm currently trying to price out a quilt/underquilt. Which did you go with?
Old 10-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
snapper
snapper

Both of my quilts came from Hammock Gear. They seemed to be comparable in price to the other companies and they have a great reputation. So far, I'm very pleased. I did go with the 20 F range on both but haven't used them at those temps so far.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
mike

Late reply.

But I also have the Incubator Econ 20 underquilt from Hammock Gear. Great underquilt.

My top quilt is an EE Revelation 30 degree that I've had since 2012, so its an older style. Nice quilt, with thermals I have taken it down to 17-ish.

The all-in-one solution in the first post really has a some issues I think. I can't see it being snug up top.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #8
tenderfoot

We use Arrowhead synthetic 3/4 under-quilts rated to 20F and a Hammock Gear econ down top quilt rated to 10F. I also use a breathable SOL bivvy for really cold nights and have been down to 5F fine under our winter tarp. And a hot water bottle :<)

The bivvy also goes into day pack for emergency use.

Snugpack makes a cocoon I'm interested in but it is heavy.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #9
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
We use Arrowhead synthetic 3/4 under-quilts rated to 20F and a Hammock Gear econ down top quilt rated to 10F. I also use a breathable SOL bivvy for really cold nights and have been down to 5F fine under our winter tarp. And a hot water bottle :<)

The bivvy also goes into day pack for emergency use.

Snugpack makes a cocoon I'm interested in but it is heavy.

How does the synthetic pack down? Iím trying to save weight by switching from my pad, tent and bag, but it always seems so close that the expense isnít worth it.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
tenderfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
How does the synthetic pack down?

I want to say about the size of a nalgene bottle. I recently attended a winter backpacking event at our local REI and this guys sleeping bag was larger than my entire shelter system (tarp, quilts, hammock). I do not use a compression sack, prefer rather to stuff it in my pack loose around other items - my pack is lined with a dry bag.

The cost was the original attraction with the Jarbidge Under-quilt. Got two on sale for $80 each. Bought another two a bit later. I thought Hammock Gear's new econ line might be a game changer; for the same amount of insulation I would spend $10 more but it is down. I love their topquilt but also enjoy the peace of mind that my underquilt is weather proof insulation while the topquilt is weather resistant. Again, cost was a driving factor too - my HG topquilt is cheaper than the comparable Arrowhead synthetic topquilt.

We actually have four Jarbidges. If you would like to try one out maybe we can work something out. The experience using top and bottom insulation designed for hammocks is reaaaly nice

Last edited by tenderfoot; 11-06-2018 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: spelling
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #11
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:

I want to say about the size of a nalgene bottle. I recently attended a winter backpacking event at our local REI and this guys sleeping bag was larger than my entire shelter system (tarp, quilts, hammock). I do not use a compression sack, prefer rather to stuff it in my pack loose around other items - my pack is lined with a dry bag.

The cost was the original attraction with the Jarbidge Under-quilt. Got two on sale for $80 each. Bought another two a bit later. I thought Hammock Gear's new econ line might be a game changer; for the same amount of insulation I would spend $10 more but it is down. I love their topquilt but also enjoy the peace of mind that my underquilt is weather proof insulation while the topquilt is weather resistant. Again, cost was a driving factor too - my HG topquilt is cheaper than the comparable Arrowhead synthetic topquilt.

We actually have four Jarbidges. If you would like to try one out maybe we can work something out. The experience using top and bottom insulation designed for hammocks is reaaaly nice

thanks for the detail, and for the links. That Jarbidge might be a good candidate for something I was contemplating making from this link: http://www.leiavoia.net/pages/hammock/levquilt.html

The size/weight is encouraging. What is your tarp set up?
Old 11-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #12
tenderfoot

That's a neat trick. Maybe combine it with the much talked about CosCo down quilt or even purchase your own ClimaShield or Primaloft.

For tarp we use Warbonnet's Superfly. We both hang under the one. I also have two Warbonnet smaller tarps, Cloudbursts I think. Have yet to use those. And we used to use a Noah 12 - waaay to big. We end up using the Superfly year around, nice privacy and very tough but low weight.

We have also taken advantage of lean-tos at ADK Loj. Since we rent them we are not required to share so will hang in the lean to. Very nice for cold weather.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #13
rachelsdad

Quote:

at our local REI
I'm sooo jealous of you guys in Rochester. REI and STP.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #14
tenderfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsdad View Post
I'm sooo jealous of you guys in Rochester. REI and STP.
Sorry. Do not wish to rub it in. But we have EMS too! I recently filled out a survey for REI and gave them high marks, but they asked how much of my business they get and it is a low percentage because I find REI and EMS equally attentive to my needs. Also buy most of my hammock gear from 'cottage vendors' online. And [gasp] a certain big box store seems to be a stop before every trip for commodities like soup mixes, hand warmers, even a sawyer filter last time.

Ok, writing this I see that a) not everyone has these stores so close and b) I should purchase items from them, even paying a few cents more, in support.

Wait a minute! Having these stores is nice but it looks like you live in Star Lake, NY. Inside the actual ADK Park. I'm sooo jealous... Those vendors will mail you stuff. Can't mail a mountain!