Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
mmccarthy7220

Brooktrout Lake overnighter video

Deerless (fellow forum member) and I hiked out to Brooktrout lake last friday. The trailhead is off the indian lake road in the Moose river plains area, south of limekiln lake. The trail is gradually uphill for a good hour or so, then turns into rolling hills of varying terrain. It was tougher to follow the closer you got to Brooktrout. We had to stop a few times and really seek out those yellow tree markers. Many creeks and rocky sections to contend with. After roughly3 hrs you are meet with a steep decent and a partial view of the lake through the trees. We hiked to the far end of the lake and found the only site on the map. It has an older leanto with a huge rock in front of it which provided a nice firepit.
We ventured the next morning down the short half mile trail to west lake and took a few pics before heading back.

Brooktrout is a gorgeous lake that is very secluded. A worthy hike.

https://youtu.be/f9P3s0t0Z6o
mmccarthy7220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
Blackflie

nice film. inspiration for my mega attempts. thanks
Old 10-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
Jack

I hiked in / out of Brooktrout many times back in the 70’s & 80’s. Thanks for the video and trip down memory lane!
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
geogymn

Great vid!
Old 10-24-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Nice! Been wanting to return there for a while now, this definitely makes me want to consider it this weekend. Great song too!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
kwc
loser

thanks for sharing the adventure!

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
jblaser

Great video, thanks for sharing. It moved Brooktrout up on my destinations list!
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
Dinner by the Pound

Video to "Louie's Country"

The new age of backpackers who post video of theirs adventures is so nice. The images help me relive past trips. I took several similar to the Brooktrout trek but when the main trail was in much better shape. Those today probably bypass the side trail to Falls Pond. But if they did check out the large rock "French" Louie" once had an overnight shelter against. Also, don't neglect to carry and inner tube or small raft to checkout the lake.
Beyond Falls Pond other interesting territory is the area beyond South Lake. I carried a blowup of the "Map of North Woods" from Harvey Dunham's book. Just for fun my bushwhack beyond Mud lake lead to the far end of South Lake where I wandered to Mica and "Beaver Pond." From there the route struck out to Poor and Northrup lakes back to South, Big West, Brooktrout and back to the Moose River Plains.
It was one of several trips taken to get a feeling of Louie's trapping routes. Had I done those in the 21st century I would have had the ability to take digital pictures and do what today's backpackers do, Yet, I still have the memories of place visited that rarely are visited.
Happy treking
Dinner by the Pound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #9
Billy9565

That was great! Thanks
Billy9565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
b00tz

"Brooktrout is a gorgeous lake that is very secluded. A worthy hike."

Tell my wife that. I sought this lake out for the first time when the MRP wasn't officially open but none of the crews working on road maint. turned me around. the gate over the last bridge was locked, adding a couple miles to the trek. it was great.
Since then the couple times I've taken my wife there, the trail is like a rush hour strech of highway, and she mocks my idea of "secluded". She's some sort of magnet for trail traffic.
b00tz is offline   Reply With Quote