Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > ADKHighpeaks Foundation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
JohnnyHikes

Dates to avoid Hiking in Adirandacks

Hi:

I'm new this this forum. I am planning a multiday hike this summer. Cranberry Lake tooks like a good choice according to this forum. Thank you for that.

What are the times of year to avoid? I've heard black flies are raging in June. Is that true? In the forum folks are talking about May or September.

Is the Cranberry Lake loop just going to be miserable in July\August?

Thanks

John
JohnnyHikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

I'd say June is peak for black flies, but plenty of people hike, paddle, and otherwise enjoy the outdoors that month. Personally, I think September & October are prime hiking months, and I enjoy canoe trips every month from May through October. Wildflowers bloom in May, making that a beautiful time to be in the forest, and most annoying bugs are done by early September, making late summer and fall a great time to be camping. If June is when it's convenient for you to hike, then just go. The bugs are inconsistent; DEET & netting help control the situation when the "little black devils" are active.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Hobbitling
spring fever

There's usually a black fly thread on the forum each spring, where people can post black fly reports. it's a pretty good way to keep track of how bad it is. A lot depends on the weather. A good frost can knock the populations down for a while.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Se[tember and October are great, especially October. Bugs are gone, it's not very muddy, in October the foliage is nice and there aren't a lot of people out.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
cuterocky
Kalie

I did the Cranberry Lake 50 in 2 trips in 2 different years. Both times I went in mid-late September. The weather was almost perfect for both trips, not too hot and not too cold. Just some rain on 1 day of each trip. Plus no bugs and not many people around either. Personally, I much prefer hiking in the Spring/Fall when the temperatures are cooler. I haven't been up there in the summer (other than boating at Lake George) so I can't really comment on how it would be July/August. However, I will say that there are plenty of ponds along the way, plus the lake, that you would be able to cool off in
CL50 #506
ADK 10/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Mike P.

June is black fly season for the most part, sometimes a week or so earlier in southern ADK areas. I would try and avoid the Iron Man Weekend in the lake Placid area also just because of traffic considerations.
Mike P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, insects