Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Josh1

ADK Moose

This year I want to get some good pictures of moose in the Adirondacks. I will be going late July and possibly early October to the Moose River Plains. What are the best ponds to see moose at besides Helldiver? Is there any way to attract moose? Is it worth it to go to Little Moose Wilderness and West Canada Lakes? Would it be too crowded with hunters if I went in October?
Josh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

You can call moose with vocal calls and scraping brush with moose bone. Also holding a moose rack above your head will challenge a moose but be aware of a possible charge and possible poachers taking a shot at you. There are videos of a guy challenging a moose with moose antlers. If you have a canoe or kayak moose don't generally regard someone gliding on the water as threatening as someone seen or heard walking through brush or bushwacking.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1 View Post
This year I want to get some good pictures of moose in the Adirondacks. I will be going late July and possibly early October to the Moose River Plains. What are the best ponds to see moose at besides Helldiver? Is there any way to attract moose? Is it worth it to go to Little Moose Wilderness and West Canada Lakes? Would it be too crowded with hunters if I went in October?
The West Canadas should not be crowded in October. They're far from the road and receive little hunting pressure.
Any hunters that you may encounter would be experienced and pose little danger to hikers.
As Schultzie said, male moose can be territorial at that time of year.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
Wldrns

When paddling the Yukon, locals told us to be much more afraid of moose than of bears. When a bear takes interest in you, it most likely is only after your food. On the other hand when a moose takes interest in you (especially when its ears are drawn back and head lowered), its intent is to kill you.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
When paddling the Yukon, locals told us to be much more afraid of moose than of bears. When a bear takes interest in you, it most likely is only after your food. On the other hand when a moose takes interest in you (especially when its ears are drawn back and head lowered), its intent is to kill you.
If you could hold the camera steady you might get some outstanding close ups.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:42 AM   #6
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
To a hungry bear you ARE food. Especially in Alaska. But bears are unpredictable there and as often as not will run off. However, he is right about the moose. Don't get too close and always give it a way out. I had a bear charge me by looking into its eyes. They can really move fast. It was a bluff charge fortunately and I got away obviously, and it wasn't in NY.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
Buckladd

My friends used to have a camp on Cedar River Road and a few years ago around July 4 they encountered a bull moose on the south end of Cedar River Flow. That can't seem to happen when I'm there. Lately, it seems a better bet is around Lake Desolation and the 1,000 Acre Swamp.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
yayabrazie
Yayabrazie

I saw a couple up in Paul Smiths.
yayabrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
Buckladd

Well, it finally happened yesterday (7/10) at Cedar River Flow....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1516aJPG.JPG (104.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Wow nice shot Buckladd!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #11
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
My friends used to have a camp on Cedar River Road and a few years ago around July 4 they encountered a bull moose on the south end of Cedar River Flow. That can't seem to happen when I'm there. Lately, it seems a better bet is around Lake Desolation and the 1,000 Acre Swamp.

Quote:
...Ask and ye shall recieve!

Nice shot, beautiful bull!

My Dad has been lucky enough to see bulls on two separate occasions at Cedar Rv Flow, but he has an advantage since his place is also on Cedar River Road and he gets back there fairly often.

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 07-12-2017 at 10:23 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
Klinkhamer

Moose on Cedar River Flow

I paddle the Cedar River flow all the time and have yet to see one.
Such luck in getting that photo! Guess I better get up there one more time....
Old 07-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #13
bioguide

Quote:
Nice, now that would be riveting...
Old 07-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
Buckladd

A couple we ran into at the launch were there for the second time this summer and said they'd seen not one, but two moose out in the middle of the flow towards the south end. I may have to go back with my wife, or take her to Helldiver later this summer.