Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
tenderfoot

Gill Brook neighborood

Thinking of back packing into the Gill brook sites, dropping off teh packs and staking out a site and day hiking Blake & Colvin.

Next day exiting via Nippletop & Dial with full packs? From Elk Pass to Nippletop looks like it is steep but from Nippletop back to AMR lot looks mostly downhill? Or is it a tad easier to day hike, back track and save the heavier packs for Lake Road?

Also, thinking about this for <cringe> Labor Day weekend</cringe>. What are some favorite Plan B's if AMR lot is full? And on a Friday of a holiday weekend this lot fills up prior to 8? 9? 10? Maybe hike into Gill Brook Thu evening but we'd have to get off AMR land before setting up cam of course. We've night hiked before and are good with that.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
tenderfoot

Using search function I found I had asked about Blake, Colvin and Sawteeth last winter. This is slightly different but I re-read that and got some great info. Especially Trailboss's link to the open street map.

I see that there are two more designated sites off of Elk Pass; and also am reading that although lumpy the terrain is a bit open? Good hammock country. So sounds like plenty of opportunities for camping at designated site or 150' off trail in hammock.

Also sounds like the Elk Pass trail to Nippletop is brutal but it sounds like I would rather go up it rather than down it. especially if we can get it out of the way 1st thing in the morning of last day.

So still interested in thoughts and wisdom, just wanted to show I am digging around a bit too.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
dundee

I've never been a fan of hauling full packs up mountains, so I would set up a base in the designated sites south of Indian Head, or in Elk Pass and day hike everything. It helps save the trail, too.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
gebbyfish

Be ready to deal with bears with your food in that area!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
tenderfoot

Thanks for the tips on bear. We use the bear-muda triangle. Sleep way over there, put barrel or bag way over there and cook way over there. Might even prefer to bushwack a bit and hammock in area I know is clean - not to hide from critters, just to make sure the last site user had not dribbled bacon fat here and there. Will use barrel as well.

And this time make sure the sunscreen goes in too (we kept out bag with bug spray on a canoe trip last year):
Old 08-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
Trail Boss

You'll do better with hammocks in that area. The two designated campsites aren't the best in the High Peaks. The southern one is flat but in a sump and the northern one is dry but on uneven ground.

On Sunday afternoon, I drove past all the trailheads south of Keene Valley and they were very busy. Roaring Brook, Ausable Club, and Chapel Pond were filled to capacity and cars were parked along the shoulders of route 73 for long stretches. Round Pond had cars along the shoulders and even at the stone bridge (North Fork Boquet) there were cars parked north and south of the bridge. Busy, busy!
Old 08-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
tenderfoot

Hmm. Shooting for arriving prior to noon on Fri. Best case would be 10am. looks like I will have a few different maps with me this time, just in case we have to approach differently. No shortage of peaks on our list.

And the Thu evening idea is sounding better and better.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
ADKREDBEARD
ADKREDBEARD

I would go light with just hammocks and a tarp. This way even a full pack should not kill your legs (hopefully). Elk pass is steep up or down so if your legs are shaky that makes for a misery mile for sure. Either way it will be an adventure. Good luck with the parking.
ADKREDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
tgoodwin

It's not ideal, but if the AMR lot is full one can park on Rt. 73. Be sure to get fully off the paved 4' shoulder, but it only adds a few yards of walking.