Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #21
AvalanchePass

Thanks, we'll see what we can find.
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #22
bridgeman

If you are victorious over your son, you could award him this patch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR-301049981.jpg (27.9 KB, 118 views)
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #23
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Haha! By the sounds of it, the little guy doesn't just want the patch, he wants to emerge victorious from the debate with his old man.
That's between the kid and his dad.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #24
serotonin
ember

Patches to Patches
dust to dust
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #25
AvalanchePass

Did this Mother's Day w/e but just got around to getting the pictures off the phone. Forecast was bad for Saturday so we moved it up to the Friday.

Thanks so much to everyone that contributed to this thread and the other one where I asked for a suggested date. It really was perfect. Not a bug in sight and the waterfalls were beautiful.

At 13 miles and 3078 feet this was a step up for us after Big Slide loop (9.4 miles, 2900 feet).

After the Flume on the Lake Road the plan was to take the East River Trail back to the gate. But by this point the sun had set so we decided to stick to the road. My wife ran the rest of the way to the car (she was training for a 10K).

My son was struggling and starting to complain (although in a humorous, self-deprecating manner). At one point he dramatically threw himself on to the road and told me to continue without him. He was really feeling it.

When we reached the end of Lake Road the intersection with the club road we wife pulled up in the car to pick us up (I learned here that this is bad form but she wasn't aware of that). He promptly rejected the offer and told her that he was going to "finish the hike" back to the parking area. I don't think I've ever been prouder.

Thanks again to everyone,
AP
Old 07-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #26
Trail Boss

FWIW, when I was there in mid-June, I noticed fresh-looking signs at the intersection (Ausable Club Road/Lake Road) indicating picking up/dropping off hikers is not permitted.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #27
AvalanchePass

Perhaps this thread contributed to that decision.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #28
gebbyfish

I was NEVER so thankful as when an Ausable Club resident in a Subaru Outback stopped on a cold winter's night to pick me up and drive me back to my car at the lot after doing Colvin and Blake!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #29
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

That's a long, but not bad walk in the summer. Winter would be terrible.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #30
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Tony, I noticed you referred to it as the "eastern lookout". I labeled it "Indian Head Outlook North" (and the other one as South). You know the land and lore best so do you feel it would it be more appropriate to call it "Indian Head Outlook East" (and the other West")? Or should one be "Indian Head Vista" and the other "Indian Head Outlook"?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/44.11290/-73.82034

Let me know and I'll make the changes ASAP.
We visited the "North" lookout on our way across to Gill Brook. Well worth the side trip and a nice place for a snack.

IMHO, having two "Indian Head" lookouts in OSM is confusing since 99% of people will be looking to route to the vista overlooking the lake. Perhaps "Indian Head Lookout" and "Indian Ridge Lookout"?
Old 07-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #31
Trail Boss

I'm not sure how people can confuse one outlook for the other. One is labeled North, the other South, and it's closer to the lake, next to cliffs, on barren rock (lake, cliffs, and bare-rock are all identified on the map).
Old 07-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #32
Hard Scrabble

We all place too much emphasis on achievements.
Let's be happy in the stuff around us.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #33
AvalanchePass

Quote:
I'm not sure how people can confuse one outlook for the other. One is labeled North, the other South, and it's closer to the lake, next to cliffs, on barren rock (lake, cliffs, and bare-rock are all identified on the map).
I'm sure you're right.

It's just that everyplace else (including the map at the trail head and all signage) refers to the iconic location as Indian Head. Having OSM as the solitary source identifying it as "Indian Head South" doesn't feel like the right approach.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #34
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalanchePass View Post
Having OSM as the solitary source identifying it as "Indian Head South" doesn't feel like the right approach.
OSM actually says "Indian Head Outlook South" not "Indian Head South". It's the southern outlook, not southern peak.

Nevertheless, I've just changed them to "South Outlook" and "North Outlook". I've decided including the peak's name is redundant. The two outlooks are clearly part of Indian Head (whose true summit lies between the two).
Old 07-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #35
AvalanchePass

Thanks again for all the work on OSM, I've found it tremendously helpful.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:46 PM   #36
TEO
Forty-Sixer

Quote:
That map is incomplete. There's a trail that runs over the summit. I recently updated OpenStreetMap's information for Indian Head and it shows all the trails plus the three outlooks. The one thing I overlooked to do is correct the location of the "peak indicator" (it is currently south of where it should be).
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/44.1119/-73.8217
FWIW, what is marked in OSM as "The Carry Trail" is the road that connects Upper and Lower Ausable lakes. It is *not* the Carry Trail, which runs much closer, in places even right along, the East Branch of the Ausable River.

Having done both, I highly recommend the trail over the road, it is vastly more interesting.
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #37
Trail Boss

You're right. I checked it and its source is USGS 7.5' Topo (which means a very old survey and approximation of trails).

Using satellite imagery (taken when trees were leafless) I can see it doesn't even align with the road.

However, I can't do anything about it unless I have at least two GPS tracks of the trail. If you or anyone else can share tracks of this route, I'd be more than happy to correct The Carry Trail.