Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Will Canoe
All Season Explorer

Deep Lake and Wolf Lake in West Canada?

Hello all
Wondering if there are decent campsites at one or either of these lakes? Also, how are the lakes for swimming?

Thanks in advance
Will Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It's been years since I was in there, but when I was, the trails were overgrown and difficult to follow. The Wolf Lake Trail pretty much faded into obscurity the closer you got to the lake, and there was never any decent place to get views. The Deep Lake Trail ended at an informal campsite on the north sure with some OK views, but this site was neither attractive (too muddy for my tastes) nor legal (not designated and too close to the shore and the trail). Both lakes are marshy and neither would be good for swimming, IMO.

From what I've heard, the DEC has put some effort into trying to clear these trails recently but they are overall still not well maintained.

Falls Pond has a campsite that is OK, but it too is illegal (not designated and too close to both trail and water). The West Canada Lakes is desperately overdue for a UMP that will hopefully clarify somewhat which campsites in the region are OK to use and which are closed and should be avoided.

Honestly, your best bets for exploring this area as part of an overnight trip would either be to continue on to the lean-to at Brooktrout Lake, or to camp in the Moose River Plains and day hike to the ponds.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
Will Canoe
All Season Explorer

Thanks for the info.
We were just at Brooktrout last week.
Just wondering for future explorations.
Will Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:29 AM   #4
aft paddle

Two years ago when at Falls Pond there was no Camp Here Disc at the site but I have since found on DEC that there is a designated site there.

Last edited by aft paddle; 08-27-2017 at 12:43 AM..
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
Two years ago when at Falls Pond there was no Camp Here Disc at the site but I have since found on DEC that there is a designated site there.
Do you mean in the State Lands Interactive Mapper? The problem with that information is that the SLIM data does not accurately depict the location of designated tent sites. In some cases, like the West Canada Lakes, the information appears to be an inventory of sites in existence, not the legal, designated sites.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Do you mean in the State Lands Interactive Mapper? The problem with that information is that the SLIM data does not accurately depict the location of designated tent sites. In some cases, like the West Canada Lakes, the information appears to be an inventory of sites in existence, not the legal, designated sites.
No, I was referring to info found on the DEC website. Specifically at http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/105391.html which includes, under "Other Camping Opportunities", "One designated primitive tent site is located on the shores of each these waterbodies: Falls Pond...."
Old 08-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
No, I was referring to info found on the DEC website. Specifically at http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/105391.html which includes, under "Other Camping Opportunities", "One designated primitive tent site is located on the shores of each these waterbodies: Falls Pond...."
That list is basically just the SLIM data, typed up with a description describing the location of each site shown on the SLIM. Someone in the DEC's Office of Communication Services obviously went through the SLIM Data, thought it was good information, typed it up and published it. Ugh.

Case in point- that same website lists some campsites as "designated" when the sites simply don't even exist (like the one on the west shore of Mud Lake, or the one near the West Lake #2 lean-to).

The list is also missing most of the sites on the Cedar Lakes that actually have "Camp Here" discs. (I'll also note that it has the numbers of the Cedar Lakes Lean-tos backwards- they go 3, 2, 1 as one travels north on the NPT, not 1, 2, 3).
Old 08-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
aft paddle

Ugh + 1! Fuel for an accurate list of designated campsites to be compiled and kept updated.