Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Adirondack Trip Planner

Saw this today and wanted to pass it along...
(Right click on the image to save & print)
https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/v...y-trip-planner

Last edited by Justin; 09-20-2017 at 06:39 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

No thanks.

If I'm gonna go, I'd rather it be where someone can't find me.

Funny how 20-30 years ago we never thought twice about this sort of thing. I know the age of information has generally made this type of stuff more accessible to those who are clueless and the age of the UL gear and outdoor athletes has made people take more risk, but at some point you gotta wonder... how did we ever do it before and live to tell about it?
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
No thanks.

If I'm gonna go, I'd rather it be where someone can't find me.

Funny how 20-30 years ago we never thought twice about this sort of thing. I know the age of information has generally made this type of stuff more accessible to those who are clueless and the age of the UL gear and outdoor athletes has made people take more risk, but at some point you gotta wonder... how did we ever do it before and live to tell about it?
I usually do this anyway, in a note or text with my girlfriend or family member.
My concern is that many people don't do this, and I'm just trying to help spread the word that it's a good idea to do. Your "no thanks" attitude helps no one, thanks for the reply anyway, Mike.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
geogymn

I agree with both points.
It is a essential habit to let someone know your itinerary.
On the other hand it is essential, to the soul, to immerse one selves in wildness or at least the perception of such.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
tenderfoot

Neat - and it has a pretty concise gear list. Sometimes I think that the length of the list of things to bring into the back country is inversely related to how many people follow it. So it covers the basics pretty well. And includes information that suggests other gear (ex suggests you boil water, but does not mention bringing water treatment - but one can infer)

I do this too, informally, complete with maps. I also use a check in time rather than return home time, but that is because I am 6 hours away. If I am due off trail by 5pm I do not wish to have people start to worry at 11pm.

Thanks Justin. I think I will use this so it is more formal and concise.

I love "slow fall while walking" - when we descended Algonquin I lost my footing and was sliding down a rock face a bit. My daughter could not see me so asked 'are you ok?' and my response was 'not done falling yet!'
Old 09-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
tenderfoot

Link to a related question on separate thread...
Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I usually do this anyway, in a note or text with my girlfriend or family member.
My concern is that many people don't do this, and I'm just trying to help spread the word that it's a good idea to do. Your "no thanks" attitude helps no one, thanks for the reply anyway, Mike.
Well I didn't mean to offend you, Bill... just stating my opinion that I don't want or need someone knowing my every move every second. For some, that's fine, for others. It's a risk you assume, albeit a small one with using trail registers and generally just talking to your friends and family.

With that said, I just thought of a real bad flu I contracted last year. I'd never been so weak and sick in my whole life. I could barely move for 24 hours. Had that hit me out on my own, especially cold weather, I probably would have died. I guess that's a risk you take everytime you leave the house...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote