Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2017, 12:42 AM   #1
Mitch

Balloon Festival Viewing

Has anyone climbed any of the mountains around Lake George during the balloon festival and seen the balloons? Thought it would be cool to go up there early Saturday as they are launching off 100 early in the morning.

Wondering where we might get the best view of them. Maybe Prospect Mountain or Sleeping Beauty? Any thoughts?
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Buckladd

The problem with the mountains and the balloons is that they seldom fly north from their launch site towards the mountains. I live directly between the airport and Sleeping Beauty Mountain and had a balloon land on my property in 1998. The only reason that happened was because they got trapped in some fog. Some even landed in nearby Hadlock Pond. When they fly north, or west, they tend to land quickly compared to any east or southerly flight direction.

That said, with good optics you might see them on a clear morning from the mountains in Hogtown. S.B. would be a good choice as it looks south and southwest, but just north and east of Inman Pond there is a hill with a small (very small) overlook to the south that might work. You can look right down the valley and are a little closer than the S.B. mountain. It's right along the state property line and would be a bushwhack from the Inman Pond trail. Too bad there's no vista from West Mountain!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mitch,
Welcome to the forum...
My daughter and SIL make it a point to stay on the airport grounds every year for the balloon fest. It's where they both first "knew" they would be wife and husband.
MDB and I joined them last year, it was too cool having the giant Dumbo balloon land just behind us, and have so many other balloons circling overhead.

With that said, you really need to be very close for a good view. Even 1/2 mile is too far away. As far as which direction? You can never tell, the winds are different every year. Here's a look at last year...the lady in the bathrobe (next to My Darling Bride) made a fantastic dive to catch the rope to keep Dumbo from running into the fence. It's always a great time there.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

For those that missed it here's a peek at Saturday morning's lift off.
Calm winds eventually pushed some of the balloons NNE, a far to the right of
Erebus and Black (from my vantage point).
I counted nearly 50 balloons in the air at once, with a bunch preparing to lift off as well.
Well worth camping on site and avoiding the traffic while enjoying the best seats in the house!!

Old 09-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Buckladd

I've been out of town for a few days, but before we left on Saturday morning we went to a local vantage point about three miles from the airport and watched them go up from there.