Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #121
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
So when DEC marks a new trail, or reroutes a new trail with flagging (before they go through and put up disks), Trail Boss & Wldrns are the ones that go through and remove all the flags. I always wondered who that was. Keep up the good work guys!
I am very familiar with the DEC rangers in areas where I hike and the trail projects they are working. Several rangers are my personal friends. I am often one of the volunteers helping them to clear trails. So there.

All officially placed flagging will have something written on to identify it as such. You will see my name, time, date and crew number on all flags that I place during searches. The flagging I remove is unlabeled junk, going random places from some yahoo's attempt at a bushwhack.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:42 AM   #122
Justin
Moving along

More flagging thread drift...

Using the trail to T Lake Falls from the Mountain Home Road trail as an example... That trail has been around for much longer then I can remember, but the path gets very faint in spots and is a little difficult to follow for a few stretches. In the past, I've seen an occasional flag along the way which was very helpful for staying on the "trail". Sure, you can always just keep your northeasterly bearing using the South Branch as a rail, but you're in for a long & arduous bushwhack through some pretty thick & rugged terrain when there is in fact a useable trail nearby that people have been using for decades which will save you lots of time & energy, but now you can find it because someone pulled the flags down.

The trail from Farmers Vly to Metcalf Lake is another example, and several others come to mind also. Sometimes it's good to just leave the flags alone. Just my opinion.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #123
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
All officially placed flagging will have something written on to identify it as such.
When I hiked the new trail to Wolf Pond last winter the flagging had no such writing on it that I saw, nor did the trail to Ok Slip Falls when it was first opened & marked with flagging, same with any reroute that I've ever come across.

Last edited by Justin; 09-27-2017 at 08:03 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #124
Wldrns

Are you certain that flagging was placed by the DEC?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #125
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Are you certain that flagging was placed by the DEC?
No, but they are "official" trails, and the Wolf Pond trail leads to a brand new official lean-to, so I would assume DEC was involved in some way.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #126
Wldrns

I am aware of the Mt Home to T-Lake Falls "trail". It has been 12-15 years since I have been on it, by following best terrain route by reading map and compass azimuth. If it were truly a DEC sanctioned trail, wouldn't it have disk markers on it by now?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #127
Justin
Moving along

The trail from Mad Tom Brook up to the South Branch crossing is an "Official" trail, has been for over 70+ years now at least, yet it still dosen't have any official trail markers, only a trail register. If you ever read that register, most of the entries are for T Lake Falls.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #128
Trail Boss

Quote:
So when DEC marks a new trail, or reroutes a new trail with flagging (before they go through and put up disks), Trail Boss & Wldrns are the ones that go through and remove all the flags.
Why are you making false accusations?

Despite the DEC's no-marking regulation, and explaining what we do and when we do it, you overlook all that and not only defend the practice but also stoop to accusing us, without evidence, of destroying legal flagging.

Forum Rule #2:

Quote:
2) No profanity, personal attacks, derogatory remarks, deliberate goading (trolling) or taunting will be tolerated. It is understood that, at times there will be disagreements and dissenting opinions. We only ask that they be done in a civil, reasoned and rational manner.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #129
Justin
Moving along

I forgot to include the wink, sorry Boss.

"Oh my god...look, someone left a flag tied to a tree!"

Old 09-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #130
Trail Boss

Quote:
I forgot to include the wink, sorry Boss.

"Oh my god...look, someone left a flag tied to a tree!"

I call bull$hit.

This is far from the first time you've make a personal attack then, when challenged, claim you were "just kidding".

In addition, the "apology" is often hollow because it continues to mock the individual ... as in that giphy above.

Besides forum rules, making personal jabs at strangers is not the way to build bridges. Many forums members hold strong views and ardently disagree with one another but remain cordial.

Once that civility is lost, you don't have a community but one of those anything-goes "Comment" sections that expose humanity's worst traits.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #131
Neil
Kayak-46

Pretty uncommon for a thread to go 100+ posts before getting shut down.