Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #41
Wldrns

Tug Hill ("The Lesser Wilderness"), town of Montague.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Montague.jpg (79.8 KB, 260 views)
Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #42
St.Regis

Wldrns - That is a dusting compared to what they might get buy Wednesday. Possibly another 4 to 5' coming!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #43
ADK123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Good XC on the BREIA trails and off trail in the woods near Boonville yesterday and today. Tug Hill has many inches of fluffy new snow over a deep hard older base.
I've enjoyed BREIA both on and off trail for many years. I'd like to try the Tug Hill area, but don't know where to go. I was in Buck Hill State Forest this past weekend - is that considered part of Tug Hill? I'm not necessarily looking for groomed trails. I'm used to/prefer breaking my own trail. Any direction you could give me would be appreciated.
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #44
adkh20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK123 View Post
I've enjoyed BREIA both on and off trail for many years. I'd like to try the Tug Hill area, but don't know where to go.
The DEC web site has info and maps for several Tug Hill cross country ski trail networks.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/353.html
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #45
ADK123

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkh20 View Post
The DEC web site has info and maps for several Tug Hill cross country ski trail networks.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/353.html
Awesome. Thank you. I look forward to checking it out.
ADK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #46
Bob K

NP Trail Benson 1/25/14

Nice powder surface on top of generally good base. Some rocks evident - nothing a foot of new snow won't cure. Trail mostly in good shape for skiing with some detours around tricky (rocky) sections. Some water crossings an issus but didn't have to take skis off (except for bridge). Downhill run out very enjoyable with enough powder for control. Still suggest rock skis however.

Made it almost to Rock Lake. Saw only two solo skiers. Snowed on us the entire time with 2 1/2" fluff by the time we got back to the car. Mid teens and light winds.

One skier reported OK skiing into Pharaoh from the south as of last Monday.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #47
Alpine1

Big Otter Truck Trail 1-26-14

Basically this trail is an out and back ski. A loop can be done requiring 2 cars, rarely done during winter months though. Today's temp starting out was 2 deg, rather brisk with a bit of windchill thrown in. My purpose was two fold. Set track for a future ski to Middle Branch L2 and a cold weather gear check. I skied about 4 miles one way basically turning around because I lacked something to cover the corners of my ears sufficiently.

For those of you wishing for BC type skiing you need to put Old Forge and the BO TT on your short list of places to ski....CONDITIONS ARE EXCELLENT. A round trip to MB L2 is approx 12 miles with several mountains(?) to go over but they are easy and offer great sliding on the back sides in both directions.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #48
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

How are the trails in Haderondah Wilderness? I haven't been there in a dogs age. Rocks and roots or is this stuff all covered up?

I think my next trip to the park will be this area. Thanks for the updates.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #49
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
How are the trails in Haderondah Wilderness? I haven't been there in a dogs age. Rocks and roots or is this stuff all covered up?

I think my next trip to the park will be this area. Thanks for the updates.
BO TT and MB L2 are in the area your asking about
Old 01-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #50
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Yeah I know. I assume there is either a good base of snow or minimal rocks and roots?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #51
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
CONDITIONS ARE EXCELLENT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
Yeah I know. I assume there is either a good base of snow or minimal rocks and roots?
I repeat....CONDITIONS ARE EXCELLENT.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #52
yardsale

l'oiseau,

In my limited experience on these trails, they are designed with excellent drainage and manicured surface such that you only need 6" of base to ski them. I would believe Alpine1 when he says conditions are excellent.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #53
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
l'oiseau,

In my limited experience on these trails, they are designed with excellent drainage and manicured surface such that you only need 6" of base to ski them. I would believe Alpine1 when he says conditions are excellent.
That's what I was after, thanks. I've been out there before but it was long, long ago.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #54
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
l'oiseau,

For the most part this is accurate info except, there are washouts where water flows down the road due to no-maintenance over the past 30 years...or when ever it was converted to Wilderness.

Since the road is wide one can easily ski around the areas where the snow is paper thin and not ski friendly.

Disclaimer....CONDITIONS ARE EXCELLENT

Last edited by Alpine1; 01-27-2014 at 02:10 PM..
Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #55
nutmeg creeker

Question

I am considering a trip this weekend. Based on current conditions, is there adequate cover on the Botheration Pond loop and other Siamese Pond trails? Also, what about the trails/roads into both entries to the Essex Chain/Finch, Pruyn areas?

Last edited by nutmeg creeker; 01-28-2014 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: add-on
nutmeg creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #56
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg creeker View Post
I am considering a trip this weekend. Based on current conditions, is there adequate cover on the Botheration Pond loop and other Siamese Pond trails? Also, what about the trails/roads into both entries to the Essex Chain/Finch, Pruyn areas?
At best conditions on the BL loop will be less than desirable. Saying that I have not skied the loop this year but I have a friend who lives in NR and her yard with the exception of ice would be almost bare...Up on the hill I'm sure there's more but it's my guess that conditions are not good. A couple weeks ago we went and climbed Crane. Many places in the woods there was next to no snow. Hopefully this helps.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #57
nutmeg creeker

Well Alpine, as they say in the westerns, "Much obliged.." You told me what I have to know but not what I wanted to hear. Looks like your prior posts about Big Otter make that plan more enticing.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #58
Bob K

Stony Pond - Minerva xc 2-1-14

Very good powder snow surface. Mostly good coverage with some rocks, small ice patches and spots requiring careful stepping. Recommend older skis but no need for metal edges. More up & down than I remember to get to pond.

Trail had last seen hikers but skiing was fine. Enough powder off to each side keep in control. Perhaps 8- 10" in the woods. Didn't see anyone else. Skied on the pond for a bit with smooth ice not far below the snow.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #59
nutmeg creeker

This report may be too late to provide any help about trip planning because conditions may have deteriorated in the past 36 hours. Nonetheless, I offer them because I really haven’t seen any other narratives about these two areas.
On Friday and Saturday, I made two explorations into the former Finch,Pruyn territory. The first began in Newcomb and was a 10 mile round trip almost as far as the parking lot for the Deer Pond put in. My starting point was the end of the plowed section of Woody’s Rd. just up from the bridge across the Goodnow R. Ski conditions were very good, and various sections of the road had been used by snowmobiles. In fact, I encountered 2 snowmobilers early on my trip and five others later in the afternoon. The road is wide and makes for very easy skiing. The last mile began at the barrier heading to the put in, and it was unbroken trail.
Saturday was a trip from the end of the plowed area on the Chain Lakes Rd, past the barrier @ 1.7 miles, down to the Hudson R and back up from the take out and then to a point one-half mile beyond the yellow house on the Gooley property. Total round trip was 6.5 miles. Again, conditions were very good, but I turned around when the snow began to get sticky and I would have needed another treatment of Maxiglide. Comments:
One other skier was out on the Chain Lakes Rd/Gooley trip. According to the register, he was headed for the Cedar R. Since he was signed out and his vehicle was gone when I returned to the parking area, I assume that he passed me when I was down having a snack on the carry trail.
I don’t know this, but I assume that the register, which is at the barrier, is adjacent to the “summer” parking lot. The carry up to the road is rugged and steep, but fairly short. I had to take off my skis to make it down to the river. The carry is marked as .8 miles to the barrier.
The road in had a number of long down grades and gradual turns, which required a fair amount of labor on the trip back up and out.
All things considered, both trips were a real surprise, because I expected the snow to be not nearly as good as it was. With any luck, conditions, after last night’s and today’s warmup, will improve with more snow.
I am posting a few pics.
#1--Barrier Woody's Rd
#2--On Woody's Rd
#3--Unbroken trail to put in--Deer Pond
#4--Hudson R. from take out--looking North
#5--Carry Trail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000275.jpg (88.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg P1000278.jpg (103.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg P1000279.jpg (126.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg P1000285.jpg (85.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg P1000290.jpg (149.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #60
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Any updates from the west/old forge/inlet area?

I didn't make it up this past weekend due to a nasty cold but I'm hoping to make it up this weekend. I'm hoping you guys didn't lose too much over the weekend (down south we had rain). Also looks like maybe 2-3" on Wednesday.