Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #41
St.Regis

Bounder45 - I hear you. These days it seems like there are more jerks around than ever that have nothing better to do than complain about every little thing. The irony is that people who want to get away from these tools and their BS can't even go to the wilderness without a hassle. It's only going to get weirder.

Last edited by St.Regis; 08-01-2017 at 02:55 PM..
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #42
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
OK, I've missed a respondent's points before on this forum... what does your comment (Hard Scrabble) have to do with Robins comment that you quote? It seems to me your comment is just stirring the pot for no good reason and it's far from respectful.
What i'm saying, Bio, is that hunting in the back country requires certain hardships. Smile.
Like not changing your underwear every day.
Living in a tent for days, coping with wet clothes.
Getting up in the pre dawn, boiling your coffee , preparing a spartan lunch.
Spending the entire day, from dawn to sunset, in the pursuit of the most challenging of the most elusive animal in the ADK's.
If you can't conceive of this, my post is wasted.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #43
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
What i'm saying, Bio, is that hunting in the back country requires certain hardships. Smile.
Like not changing your underwear every day.
Living in a tent for days, coping with wet clothes.
Getting up in the pre dawn, boiling your coffee , preparing a spartan lunch.
Spending the entire day, from dawn to sunset, in the pursuit of the most challenging of the most elusive animal in the ADK's.
If you can't conceive of this, my post is wasted.
Ah gee Hard Scrabble I guess I can't conceive of doing such a thing... your posts are wasted.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #44
chaser
pond jockey

I try to stay out of this stuff on this forum, because it makes no sense to me how "some" judge another's worth of experience, fun, memories, adventure, etc. I have communicated with Bio a bit on the side about our backwoods tent camps and we have compared notes and he has this and I've got that, but the thing of it all is that we are both there for the same reason as is everyone else chiming in on this post. Suffering and hardships doesn't make the hunt, it's the experience and the stories you can tell that do. I've woken up in a 3 season tent at 12 degrees on a November morning after sleeping with my water and boots in my sleeping bag to keep them from freezing and loved it, but I also learned that a nice new wall tent makes me happier as do a change of skivvies from time to time. Make me less of a hunter? I hope not? Work my a$$ off to prepare my camp 3 miles back, you bet. Do I judge anyone else's experience of taking the effort to get off the road to enjoy deer season? Of course not. So I'll get off my soap box and return to planning my backwoods hunt my way, not as "others" shall perceive it worthy or not or whether I change my underwear or suffer sufficient hardships.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #45
fxd79

Quote:
I have to jump in.
Wheeled vehicles, whether human or animal powered are illegal in wilderness areas.
The alternative is sweat, packing your base camp to a campsite that has been approved in advance by DEC.
No charge.
If you want to hunt the back country, you have to accept this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhmmc View Post
Is a deer cart considered a wheeled vehicle then?
Quote:
Yes, in wilderness areas.
As well as mtn bikes or animal drawn vehicles.
There was once a guy near the Siamese Pond wilderness area who transported hunters and their gear with a horse drawn wagon.
That was deemed illegal.
I emphasize "wildness areas."
Not Newcomb or Coreys.
My brother works for NYSDEC in Region 5. Deer carts and canoe carries etc. are legal in wilderness areas. Mountain bikes are not allowed. We use a game cart all the time to get bucks out of designated wilderness areas.

On a separate note, whether we hunt from a canoe, wall tent, backpack, motel, hunting camp, or parked truck is all a moot point. We can all agree that hunting in the blueline is not the easy path to harvesting a NY buck. I see no need to discount how one person chooses to experience an ADK hunt over another as we all taking the more difficult path.
fxd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #46
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxd79 View Post
My brother works for NYSDEC in Region 5. Deer carts and canoe carries etc. are legal in wilderness areas. Mountain bikes are not allowed. We use a game cart all the time to get bucks out of designated wilderness areas.

On a separate note, whether we hunt from a canoe, wall tent, backpack, motel, hunting camp, or parked truck is all a moot point. We can all agree that hunting in the blueline is not the easy path to harvesting a NY buck. I see no need to discount how one person chooses to experience an ADK hunt over another as we all taking the more difficult path.
in the past regs i believe stated prohibited wheeled and mechanized modes of transportation, which many interpreted to include carts and such as they were wheeled
they have changed the regs, banning motorized vehicles with separate provision banning bicycles
technically leaving carts Legal,
you may come across some rangers/officers still interpreting the old regs
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #47
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Ah gee Hard Scrabble I guess I can't conceive of doing such a thing... your posts are wasted.
Says the hunter? who cannot conceive the wilderness hunting experience.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #48
Edb 46 er

I have asked the Forest Ranger in my area I plan to hunt and deer carts are allowed, no bicycles though< On another note, my permit came in the mail today! Looks like mules and horses are out and boats and canoes are in. Starting to get a bit excited already:-)) I am going with the dehydrated foods of different companies. 2lbs of beef jerky from Miller's Meat Mkt. and plenty of coffee. Of course, some hard salami and cheeses.

My list is not published here but it is quite extensive but might not be a bad idea to publish it so it may be critiqued. I'll write it down on paper and then get back to you guys.

Robin and Bio I have seen a few of your videos and have enjoyed them, so thanks for sharing. I don't plan to video anything for lack of camera equipment.
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #49
chaser
pond jockey

Edb, I am always trying to shed a little gear weight here and there after several seasons and for what it's worth the best advice I ever got on skimming weight was by an old timer who said to start with the 5 pounds above your belt!!! I have no idea on your physical condition, but I know I'll be much better after I lose 10 pounds above my belt by mid October!!!
Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #50
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser View Post
Edb, I am always trying to shed a little gear weight here and there after several seasons and for what it's worth the best advice I ever got on skimming weight was by an old timer who said to start with the 5 pounds above your belt!!! I have no idea on your physical condition, but I know I'll be much better after I lose 10 pounds above my belt by mid October!!!
Been working on that 5lbs above the belt already, that is the amount I would like to lose. Cycle about 75-100 miles a week and have carried 48-50lbs on my back for the first section of the Northville Lake Placid Trail, which was about 28 miles, granted I did not do the whole 28 miles in one day. Decent shape but I will not be entering any triathlons anytime soon. Good advice from your friend.

Last edited by Edb 46 er; 08-02-2017 at 09:55 PM..
Old 08-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #51
geogymn

"Starting to get a bit excited already:-))"

I am getting excited for you! Good luck on your preparation and planning!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #52
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
...... my permit came in the mail today! Looks like mules and horses are out and boats and canoes are in. Starting to get a bit excited already:-))

Robin and Bio I have seen a few of your videos and have enjoyed them, so thanks for sharing. I don't plan to video anything for lack of camera equipment.
I'm getting pretty excited also. I was up at Paul Smiths displaying my small wall tent/wood stove during the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association Assembly this past July, it was fun talking wall tents/canoes/back woods hunting with the folks. Met a few old timers who knew a lot about the big woods. It really got me pumped for opening day up at the western end of Lows Lake.
I'll bring my Gopro and have fun making some vids to edit this coming winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00773.JPG (90.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #53
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I'm getting pretty excited also. I'll bring my Gopro and have fun making some vids to edit this coming winter.
Agree on both counts... my excitement and anticipation is high and I too look forward to video editing after the adventure...

Old 08-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #54
Edb 46 er

Quote:
I'm getting pretty excited also. I was up at Paul Smiths displaying my small wall tent/wood stove during the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association Assembly this past July, it was fun talking wall tents/canoes/back woods hunting with the folks. Met a few old timers who knew a lot about the big woods. It really got me pumped for opening day up at the western end of Lows Lake.
I'll bring my Gopro and have fun making some vids to edit this coming winter.
I won't be too far from the area you are planning to hunt on low's lake Robin, just further north. When are you planning to be in the area?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #55
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
"Starting to get a bit excited already:-))"

I am getting excited for you! Good luck on your preparation and planning!
Thanks for the support! As well as everyone else on the thread.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #56
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
I won't be too far from the area you are planning to hunt on low's lake Robin, just further north. When are you planning to be in the area?
I will go in Oct 19th, but I watch the weather forcast looking for favorable conditions for the long paddle in. (tailwinds or calm is most helpful) I will adjust a day or two if necessary, retirement has it's perks.

I like to hunt around Tomar Mt., I find I'm more comfortable with that huge landmark in my sights.

Will you be up by Cranberry Lake Edb 46 er
Old 08-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #57
Edb 46 er

Quote:
I will go in Oct 19th, but I watch the weather forcast looking for favorable conditions for the long paddle in. (tailwinds or calm is most helpful) I will adjust a day or two if necessary, retirement has it's perks.

I like to hunt around Tomar Mt., I find I'm more comfortable with that huge landmark in my sights.

Will you be up by Cranberry Lake Edb 46 er
That is the plan, I did some research on Janacks landing and thought it might be the place to set up the tent this year. I will be hunting towards Cowhorn and Six Mile Creek. All good hunting in the 5 ponds Wilderness. Many bears, I once watched a 400lb sow and her cub not 60 yards from my stand in the cranberry wild Forest during muzzleloading season. She was an amazing Bruin to see. I too should be heading in towards the end of October.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #58
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Bio, you reveal your self.
We can talk all day about the experience of hunting the deep woods.
Yes, i think my posts are wasted on you.
If you've never experienced waking in a cold tent before dawn, with half frozen boots, making coffee on a wood stove, assembling a lunch of peanut butter and jelly, my posts are indeed wasted on you.
Sadly.

Last edited by Hard Scrabble; 08-05-2017 at 05:35 PM..
Old 08-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #59
Terasec

Quote:
If you've never experienced waking in a cold tent before dawn, with half frozen boots, making coffee on a wood stove, assembling a lunch of peanut butter and jelly, my posts are indeed wasted on you.
Sadly.
Wait
Now not only can i not bring change of underwear
I now have to lug a wood stove and eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to experience backwoods hunting?

And i guess you need to hire a guide to carry your gear too to truly experience backwoods hunting
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #60
geogymn

Quote:
Sadly.
Mr. Scrabble, I like to sit down with you and drink a couple beers, or whiskey if you prefer, and talk about the finer things of life.

It was a beautiful day today. Not your typical August dog day, more like a September day, where one could walk and not feel oppressed by the heat. One could look up at the clouds cruising by with the promise that a glorious autumn is in the offing. It was a good day to be alive.