Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2017, 07:15 AM   #21
dpc34

Justin...you are correct...I did see the original post and I was actually in the area for a week while they were looking for him..my point.. it seems that even though he signed in at the Upper Works, nobody realized he was missing for a number of days..no blame intended here....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #22
tenderfoot

I'd like to again thank everyone that chipped in with this. In a nut shell I see as mentioned the idea violates the kiss system. Redundant, complicated, pandering to those that do not use basic tools available now. More than a few fatal flaws identified as well.

"nobody realized he was missing for a number of days"
This is what we were trying to address but fell short. Can' complete with the elegant simplicity of a note on the frige!

I appreciated the discussion, it saved a bunch of time/effort. You guys are great!

We will not pursue this idea.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #23
gebbyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
Justin...you are correct...I did see the original post and I was actually in the area for a week while they were looking for him..my point.. it seems that even though he signed in at the Upper Works, nobody realized he was missing for a number of days..no blame intended here....
Those books are not checked by the DEC unless someone reports you missing or overdue. Could someone have thought to call them if they saw he hadn't checked out? Sure. Then what? Did he forget to sign out or did he not get out?
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #24
Bark Eater Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
I'd like to again thank everyone that chipped in with this. In a nut shell I see as mentioned the idea violates the kiss system. Redundant, complicated, pandering to those that do not use basic tools available now. More than a few fatal flaws identified as well.

"nobody realized he was missing for a number of days"
This is what we were trying to address but fell short. Can' complete with the elegant simplicity of a note on the frige!

I appreciated the discussion, it saved a bunch of time/effort. You guys are great!

We will not pursue this idea.
Thanks Tenderfoot for an interesting discussion. Yeah, no amount of technology will replace a bit of simple personal responsibility. One distinction to the note on the fridge that I learned years ago: I now leave 1) Destination 2) Route 3) Expected Return Time, and 4) Call the Ranger Time. 3 and 4 should not be the same. I had a non-crisis issue with my dog going lame a number of years ago, which delayed my return to the trailhead by a few hours. By the time we emerged from the woods the DEC was in the parking lot. All was well. But I felt badly having resources deployed when it wasn't necessary.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #25
Trail Boss

@Tenderfoot

It was a well-meaning suggestion that spurred an intelligent debate. As much as we'd all like to create a safety net for neophyte hikers, it boils down to personal responsibility and employing simple, time-honored procedures.

Promoting these procedures is important and, with any luck, this discussion was seen by aspiring hikers and they learned something. If we influenced only one person, it was worth our while.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #26
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebbyfish View Post
Those books are not checked by the DEC unless someone reports you missing or overdue.
That may be the case this day and age, but that's not how it always worked.
At least in better managed units of state land, ranger or AFR would regularly patrol the area, sign in the book, check who's out there, and make sure new blank pages are in the book (and a pen or pencil)...
I actually did get a call once after forgetting to sign out, but that was a decade or more ago and times have changed
Old 09-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #27
gebbyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
That may be the case this day and age, but that's not how it always worked.
At least in better managed units of state land, ranger or AFR would regularly patrol the area, sign in the book, check who's out there, and make sure new blank pages are in the book (and a pen or pencil)...
I actually did get a call once after forgetting to sign out, but that was a decade or more ago and times have changed
If the rangers were less busy rescuing people or there were more of them, perhaps they could check the registers. Hopefully, the state will allow more of them to be hired in the near future, rather than just encouraging everyone to visit the Adirondacks, without supporting the infrastructure, necessary to allow for that experience!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #28
dpc34

ah...I think the main problem is the number of rangers....maybe God down in Albany will do something about this vs spending x # of $ on exit 29....just saying....
Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #29
bluequill

Quote:
ah...I think the main problem is the number of rangers....maybe God down in Albany will do something about this vs spending x # of $ on exit 29....just saying....
Sure, we could use more rangers. But all the rangers in the world can't fix ignorance. Education can fix ignorance.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #30
dpc34

you are right about education (was an educator for 31 yrs), but spending money on/in the wrong places is wrong......enjoyed the thread.....
Old 09-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #31
bluequill

Quote:
you are right about education (was an educator for 31 yrs), but spending money on/in the wrong places is wrong......enjoyed the thread.....
I'm with you on that.....
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote