Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
bsparks

Fall colors....any place on peak ?

Hello,

We are flying to Boston in evening of 9/28 and have time to visit different areas till night of 10/3. My initial plan was to give all time to Vermont, as this is going to be a fall foliage trip. But due to high temperature recently and whole next week, it is no more early fall color anymore. But we may be little early for colors. I am coming flying from west coast to Boston and may not repeat this area for many next years.

To have a backup plan, I was checking other nearby areas, which 'may be' near to peak during my travel dates. One options is Adirondack area. On one forum, it was showing as peak during my travel dates. But geographically they are not much different, so I am not sure, how colors are progressing there and what 'may be' chances for after 4 days from now.

I didn't find any better forum for Adirondack/Lake Placid area, hence looking for some help and suggestions here. If this is going to be positive, I can drive from Boston to Adirondack (5 hours) and reach midnight. We can have option to spend 29 and 30, then on same evening, we can move to Stowe, VT.

If somebody visited this area recenly, or located nearby only, can you suggest, if Adirondacks/Lake Placid already close to peak or its just in patches ?

Thanks
bsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Rivet
Likes to hike

Colors should be near peak in Lake Placid (high peaks) region of the Adirondacks

https://www.iloveny.com/things-to-do.../#.V9G29tUrK6g
Old 09-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
TCD

Colors are poor this year, unfortunately. I took a long drive around the region today (Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Bloomingdale, etc.). No place is more than 50% and all colors are dull and dry.

Believe me, if I could honestly do so I would promote visiting the region. But if you are looking for color, it's not here, no matter what any websites say. Sorry!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
rickhart

I'm in the White Mts right now, and the colors are not peak -- plus, I get a feeling they just aren't going to be too good this year anyway (but I'm not an expert). Last year the Whites were ablaze with color!
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
bluequill

In the Placid/ Saranac area the leaves definitely have changed but like others have said they are pretty dull and muted. Some Maples are bright red while other maples seem to be drying up with no color change. I would give it another week but it looks like the colors will not be as vibrant as in other years.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #6
bsparks

Thanks for your replies. Seems like, Adirondacks will not work for us this time. But our flighst are booked and even if we cancel all reservations, we will be penalized.
So, whatever best we can take out from our travel, we are trying to achieve. From Thursday, it is going to be cold front, which can give positive impact on color change.
That was reason, I thought that higher elevation can give some good (if not best) colors, i.e. White Mnts and Adirondacks.
This is from last weekend, from Vermont - http://carolsmith.zenfolio.com/p522905761 (Check in Slideshow, to move it faster)
bsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
rickhart

Have fun! There's always some color. The year to year difference is whether it's just pretty, or drop-dead spectacular. Plus it's a beautiful area, anyway.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
Have fun! There's always some color. The year to year difference is whether it's just pretty, or drop-dead spectacular. Plus it's a beautiful area, anyway.
Agreed!
Seems like every year people say, "Fall colors probably won't be that great this year", and post a link supporting that theory, but in general the color is usually pretty good... Sometimes its early & other times a bit late. I remember last year (or maybe it was the year before) people were saying there's been way too much rain lately so the colors won't be that good this year, but then it turned out pretty nice. Folks also need to remember that lots of color sticks around well into October beneath the trees. Often times you'll get really good color contrasts just walking through an open hardwood forest well after the so called "peak", especially on a nice sunny blue-bird day, next to water (or out on the water), with leaves on the ground, and some still in the trees.

Last edited by Justin; 09-27-2017 at 04:49 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #9
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Colors were quite stunning in the SW Adirondacks this past weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170924_113339_199-747x747-560x560.jpg (112.6 KB, 71 views)

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #10
adkh20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Colors were quite stunning in the SW Adirondacks this past weekend.
The colors have also been stunning for the past few weeks along the NW Adirondack waterways.
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #11
barry_g

Any favorite, less trafficked roads that anyone can recommend as scenic alternatives?
barry_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall foliage