Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
AvalanchePass

DEC bear canister return @ The Garden

Was at The Garden Sep 20th and there was a box marked 'DEC bear canister return' (or something similar). Don't recall seeing it there last year. Took a peek inside and people were using it as a garbage can.

Is there a program I'm not aware of?
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Trail Boss

Also saw a bin at Upper Works on Sunday.

I'm also curious how this system works. I'm not aware of a DEC rental program for bear-canisters.

Wild guess:
I've learned if you show up at the Loj with a BearVault-style canister, made of polycarbonate (which continue to be piņatas for High Peaks bears), they'll loan you a Garcia-style canister, made of ABS plastic. Maybe you deposit the loaner in the bins? Maybe it's also for returning rentals you get from the Loj?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
AvalanchePass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Also saw a bin at Upper Works on Sunday.
Interesting.

Quote:
Wild guess:
I've learned if you show up at the Loj with a BearVault-style canister, made of polycarbonate (which continue to be piņatas for High Peaks bears), they'll loan you a Garcia-style canister, made of ABS plastic. Maybe you deposit the loaner in the bins? Maybe it's also for returning rentals you get from the Loj?
I'd be surprised. No ADK markings on the box. From a business perspective you want renters in the store twice (pickup/return). Wouldn't be fair for DEC to partner with ADK at the exclusion of the Mountaineer. I'm sure they value the multiple visits from Garden/AMR hikers.

Last edited by AvalanchePass; 09-26-2017 at 01:46 PM..
Old 09-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
AvalanchePass

2017 Adirondack Black Bear Steward

The Bear Steward will help WCS (Wildlife Conservation Society) and DEC inform backpackers about the importance of using bear canisters to protect bears and help backpackers comply with the NYS DEC bear canister regulation for the High Peaks ...

Provide canister loans to backpackers entering the High Peaks ...

Not sure if this program is related to the canister return boxes. But apparently it's been in operation since at least 2012.

ADK 46ers

We love Adirondack bears but prefer to keep them at a safe distance! Since the summer of 2012, the 46ers have donated $15,300 to fund a part-time steward at the Upper Works trailhead each summer to educate hikers and distribute bear canisters, as needed, as part of the Wildlife Conservation Society's Adirondack Bear Steward program.

Has anyone had any interaction with the bear steward?

Last edited by AvalanchePass; 09-26-2017 at 01:27 PM..