Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
Buckladd

Deer Season - 2017

Time to talk deer hunting. Anyone going out bowhunting in the morning? I intend to go because I took the day off, but I'm not excited about hot temps. Plenty of deer around, though.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
geogymn

Also from the DEC;
Just a friendly reminder that October 1 is the deadline for applying for 2017 deer management permits!
Old 09-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
geogymn

PS
Too hot to hunt!
Old 09-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
Bounder45

I'm not a bowhunter (yet) and am still focused on the early bear season. However, if anyone needs assistance tracking down a wounded deer, feel free to PM me for contact info. I have a wounded game dog tracking license from the DEC and I'm always looking for opportunities to expand my dog's experience, as well as my own.

Good luck out there.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
I'm not a bowhunter (yet) and am still focused on the early bear season. However, if anyone needs assistance tracking down a wounded deer, feel free to PM me for contact info. I have a wounded game dog tracking license from the DEC and I'm always looking for opportunities to expand my dog's experience, as well as my own.

Good luck out there.
What area do you cover?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
ADKpikebuster

The new camo Busch cans are out, gonna be a good year for sure

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
St.Regis

Not today, but I'll be out this weekend. Good luck to everyone!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
What area do you cover?
I cover mostly western NY (Monroe, Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Livingston, Ontario Counties).

But I'm up in the ADK's during many of the fall weekends (mostly Indian Lake, Blue Mtn Lake, Raquette Lake areas) and I'm willing to drive a bit depending on my availability.

Last edited by Bounder45; 09-27-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Old 09-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
Robin

I'm going back to Lows Lake for a opening week rifle, wall tent wood stove and canoe. These days just getting out there is the main objective, getting some quality time in the big woods is a plus.
Spent 5 days in Quebec 2 weeks ago with an old friend,(78 years old)
https://youtu.be/X49yrJ-T4Zs
Old 09-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #10
geogymn

Quote:
I cover mostly western NY (Monroe, Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Livingston, Ontario Counties).

But I'm up in the ADK's during many of the fall weekends (mostly Indian Lake, Blue Mtn Lake, Raquette Lake areas) and I'm willing to drive a bit depending on my availability.
Ok Thanks!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #11
Cpswing555

I have been on youtube listening to some big buck registry podcasts (joe DiNitto, Lane Benoit, and Hal Blood. Very interesting and full of great tips and insight to why they do some of the things they do. I read one of hal's, books this summer along with the stories as told in deer camp by DiNitto and friends, Both greatbooks and informative. I highly recommend.
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #12
Buckladd

The ADK Trackers (DiNitto, Massett and crew) will be at the Old Forge Hardware store on Oct. 14.

I hunted yesterday morning and by 8am it was 77 degrees and mosquitos were out. I bagged it early, but this temperature drop for the weekend, especially the mornings, should get them moving a little. Most of trail camera photos are now at night.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #13
Cpswing555

id love the chance to shoot the breeze with those guys. Maybe this winter I can find a spot closer to PA where I could see them.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
The new camo Busch cans are out, gonna be a good year for sure
hahaha here here!

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #15
wildbrookies

Amen!!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #16
mgc

Quote:

I should have seen this earlier today. I just completed a Bowhunter Education course here in Hamlin. I would have told my class. I also did classes in Albion, Avon, Brockport and Henrietta recently that would have benefited from that information. Shoot me a PM with your details if you wish..if nothing else I may call you if I lose one...
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #17
Cpswing555

wow that's pretty cool bounder. I wish we had ppl like you in PA. hate to see a nice animal not recovered
Old 10-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #18
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
I should have seen this earlier today. I just completed a Bowhunter Education course here in Hamlin. I would have told my class. I also did classes in Albion, Avon, Brockport and Henrietta recently that would have benefited from that information. Shoot me a PM with your details if you wish..if nothing else I may call you if I lose one...
The 2 resources to check out are:

Deer Search (which is a tracker group based here in NY): http://deersearch.org/ This group has a dispatch # you can call and ask for tracking assistance.

and

United Blood Trackers (a national group that has members in most of the lower 48 states, including NY): https://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/ This group lists the names and contact info (and rough locations) for the trackers.

I would try those two websites first since you might find a tracker team that is closer to you than I. Also, there are handlers and dogs out there who have a lot more experience at recovering animals than me and my dog.

I am listed on the United Blood Trackers website and can PM my contact info if you still want it.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #19
mgc

Quote:
The 2 resources to check out are:

Deer Search (which is a tracker group based here in NY): http://deersearch.org/ This group has a dispatch # you can call and ask for tracking assistance.

and

United Blood Trackers (a national group that has members in most of the lower 48 states, including NY): https://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/
I am listed on the United Blood Trackers website and can PM my contact info if you still want it.
Thanks...so go figure..I lost one today. I had a pass through that must not have hit vitals...the deer went quite far but I was able to stay on it until it laid down. It left a large puddle of blood that I was certain was certain to be the lead up to a white belly...not the case. the drops got tiny and vanished in dried poplar leaves. I was able to find a few more drips and then continued to look for more sign without any success...I had not seen this post but I found the United Site with my phone and gave you a call....thanks for getting back to me....bummer that you were not in the area. None of the other trackers are very close to where I lost the deer.
The Deer Search group seems to be keyed on Eastern NY... I was hunting in Orleans County this morning.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:20 PM   #20
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
Thanks...so go figure..I lost one today. I had a pass through that must not have hit vitals...the deer went quite far but I was able to stay on it until it laid down. It left a large puddle of blood that I was certain was certain to be the lead up to a white belly...not the case. the drops got tiny and vanished in dried poplar leaves. I was able to find a few more drips and then continued to look for more sign without any success...I had not seen this post but I found the United Site with my phone and gave you a call....thanks for getting back to me....bummer that you were not in the area. None of the other trackers are very close to where I lost the deer.
The Deer Search group seems to be keyed on Eastern NY... I was hunting in Orleans County this morning.
Bummer!