Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
x_600_x

How Much Longer Will The ADK's Support Trout

I find this (as of yesterday) hot weather, this deep into fall disgusting. I cancelled a trip that was supposed to happen last weekend due to blazing sunshine and high 80's (St Regis Canoe Area) Going to try again next weekend. My son is 11. I am afraid that when he gets into the 20's and 30's the ADK's will be primarily a Bass and pike fishery. Sad times guys
x_600_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
RipVanWinkle

I'm concerned about the warming temps as well but considering there are still plenty of trout streams in Georgia, including Brook Trout, I'd say we have a long time till the adirondacks cant support trout.
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
gmorin71

I dont know enough to truly speculate, but I can only say that I did an overnight on a pond last weekend that I had planned for a while only to find it to be bath water. This hot spell did a number on temps.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
dundee

Something on the Albany TV news/weather...we broke 13 heat records this year and 12 in '16....scary!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Ever hear of Indian summer? It's been happening for decades now and I can remember Indian summers way back in the 1950's and 1960s. Let's not over-react here.............
Old 09-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Wldrns

Most definitions of Indian Summer say it is an unusually late period of warm, dry, and still weather occurring in the fall after a hard frost. We haven't had any heavy frost yet this season. I can remember many days of deer hunting in late October and November with my father as far back as in the 1960's when it was an unbearably hot walk out of the woods in bright sunshine. We're possibly not done yet here in 2017 with Indian Summer.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #7
fishcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_600_x View Post
I find this (as of yesterday) hot weather, this deep into fall disgusting. I cancelled a trip that was supposed to happen last weekend due to blazing sunshine and high 80's (St Regis Canoe Area) Going to try again next weekend. My son is 11. I am afraid that when he gets into the 20's and 30's the ADK's will be primarily a Bass and pike fishery. Sad times guys
If the Adks turn into a "Bass/Pike fishery" it won't be because of the weather

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau
fishcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:56 PM   #8
ADKpikebuster

I took a day and did a little hike/swamp wobblin in the heat, just took plenty of beer to stay hydrated and a good piss can in the boat is all that's needed to bag some trophy trout (18 and 19.5) Glen I offered to wheel chair you in, you missed out on this trip but we'll get em next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3364.JPG (136.4 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3365.JPG (144.3 KB, 264 views)

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
Glen
Check please

Pikebuster- Damn, that's a beauty. Only two cans of Busch in the bottom? I'm impressed!
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
EagleEd

Brookies

Beautiful Fall colors.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
wildbrookies

Holy Moly!! Im totally impressed Pikebuster! That brookie is incredibly beautiful! And you only caught it on 2 cans of Busch! Crazy fishing trip! Thanks for sharing!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
ehsfishin72

Dang!!!! They don't get much prettier than that. Congrats
ehsfishin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #13
Stillhunter

Nice brooks pikebuster!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #14
wildbrookies

Yeah, thats a hog!! Guess the Pikebuster aint bullsh-----g!! He knows how to get the big`ens.

To try to stay on the topic, I must add, I haven't seen consistent good levels of fishing in 3 years now. Either the rivers drop way too early in the spring ,so they will tend to warm up even quicker even before the dog days of summer and fall fishing is almost out of the question on my local rivers the past 3 years ,between the high water temps . and the very low levels ,I hate to even bother the trout. I miss getting out on a crisp ,cool autumn morning on our ole familiar rivers near the closure of the season and catch a few nice big fat colorful browns and rainbows before I put the fly gear away . sad , I haven't had this opportunity in quite some time. How do you all feel about this. I know ,I`m not talking about the adk`s but, I was told even those rivers are getting low(thin) and still too warm. Getting scary, and hoping very seriously ,its just a small cycle and will right itself maybe next year. ughhhh.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Last edited by wildbrookies; 09-30-2017 at 08:26 PM..
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #15
x_600_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoron View Post
Ever hear of Indian summer? It's been happening for decades now and I can remember Indian summers way back in the 1950's and 1960s. Let's not over-react here.............
Science tells us otherwise - Science is what makes us different than apes that live in trees. I will roll my eyes as well
x_600_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #16
fishcane

Science also tells us that the climate has been evolving since long before humans even existed

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau
fishcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #17
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcane View Post
Science also tells us that the climate has been evolving since long before humans even existed
Look for another period where climate changed so drastically in 150 years. Hint: You won't find one. In earth terms this is like an explosion.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #18
Stillhunter

How much longer will the ADKs support trout?....

Until the next ice age.

Last edited by Stillhunter; 10-03-2017 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: clarify post
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #19
Tug Hill

The Brook Trouts demise on Tug Hill has almost single handedly been caused by the Beaver.
Tributaries of Salmon River and the East Branch of Fish Creek used to hold large populations of native Brook Trout. These small brooks were shaded by the forest canopy, water was free running, cold and pure enough to drink from the streams. Then in the mid 60's, the beaver population exploded, flooding the forest, killing the trees therefore degrading the shade integrity, giardiasis parasite, siltation, stagnation, and leaching more acid into the stream from the flooded forest soil.

I'd be willing to bet there were no days this summer in the ADK's where the temps reached 90degrees ? The Brook trout fishery in the ADK's at least in the many deep lakes and ponds will be just fine for many years to come. Save a Brook Trout, trap a beaver.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #20
Wldrns

My first fishing experience was for Tug Hill trout in the 50's and 60's. Both of my parents grew up there, and my dad would take me fishing at a very young age and visit my grandfather who still lived there at the time. We regularly caught and ate our limit (limit 10, and 6 inch minimum legal size then). I haven't tried fishing there in recent years, but plan to again in retirement.

Of course beaver evidence is everywhere now. My dad said there were very few or no beavers when he was growing up. Just look at the topo maps of the area, most recent editions date from around 1943. Lots of streams and open forested terrain showing on the maps. But go there now and the topos are all but useless for travel with all the beaver flooding.