Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Terasec

Moose in adk?

Moose have always been that rare mystical creature that barely existed in northern adk
But lately keep hearing more and more reports of moose in southern adk locations
Even have possible moose signs on my land on western foithills of adk
Are moose increasing and moving south?
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
cityboy

I think sightings are unreliable. Based on my game cameras I have way more Moose and Bears than deer. I know that's not true. I have dozens of bear and Moose photos yet my neighbors 1 mile away hardly see any.
I will say that my reports no longer garner the interest at the local cafe. It's no longer a big deal to see Moose in Newcomb/Long Lake anymore. I'm sure Moose population is increasing but for it to expand range from overflowing seems doubtful. More likely your Western Foothill sightings are transitional Moose looking for a mate. It's mating season now.

I'm still waiting to hear of someone getting chased by a Moose. I had thought this might be the year. Some Bulls get really aggressive in fall. Couple of years ago I heard one attacking trees and knocking over dead ones. No way that was a deer. Trees were too big.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Wldrns

It was in the early 1970's that moose sightings began to appear in the dairy farm country of Lewis County and the western edge of the Adirondacks. Dozens of cars would line up on the road for a view. On several occasions, a bull moose was seen standing in cow pastures, after walking right through barbed wire fences, overlooking herds of dairy cows. It was thought they traversed the Adirondacks from Vermont, heading upwind, looking for a good smelling mate, ending up in dairy cow land. The poor guys just stood with an imagined stunned dumbfounded look, as if to say "close, but something is not quite right here".

In the Yukon, canoe race officials and local people told us to be more afraid of moose than of bears on the river. A bear is most likely just after your food, but if a moose takes on an interest, they are most likely wanting to kill you. A friend of mine in Alaska was challenged while walking in the open to her car. Luckily another car came along and kept his car between her and the moose.

Last edited by Wldrns; 10-02-2017 at 08:16 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #4
gebbyfish

Any port in a storm I guess!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg confused moose.jpg (62.1 KB, 233 views)
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
Klinkhamer

Moose on the river

Saw moose tracks on the shore of Boreas River yesterday. Would've been cool to see one from a distance while kayaking, but having been chased by one in Yellowstone a few years back, I don't want to surprise one anymore and be stuck in my kayak on a shallow stream. At least in Yellowstone I just had to run across the stream (not easy) and up the opposite bank and it stopped chasing me. They go nuts in the fall during rut.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Almost every year including this year I see tracks in my 1/4 mile long driveway in the southern ADKs. Always in the Sept. to Nov. timeframe - looking for mates I guess.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Not exactly chased but... Last fall in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness, I had a young bull moose start to walk in my direction from about 50 yards away. I was with my dog, but thankfully she never saw him. I slowly backed into the treeline and retreated to my campsite without further incident. Then the next morning, I spotted the moose again out on an island. Once he noticed me again, he walked into the water and swam across a narrow channel and began to walk in my direction again, so I put the camera away & high-tailed it out of there!
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Moose
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #8
bluequill

Moose tracks (and bear tracks) at the sandy beach on Cheney Pond. There was also and abundcance of trash at the lean to. I took away what I could, including the Dave Matthews signature floating beer cooler.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Grey-Jay

A most important question - are Adirondack moose being negatively impacted by winter ticks that have dramatically reduced the population in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Minnesota as well. I believe there is a NY study underway by either DEC or WCS in Saranac Lake. Does anyone know? Where I used to see 30 moose in a weekend in northern NH, I have been told seeing one is rare now. I am hoping the NY population is low and isolated enough not to have severe winter tick impact.

That said, I saw this young bull near Great Sacandaga Lake in Saratoga County a month or so ago and had my camera, at 2pm.

http://www.jnphoto.net/GALLERIES/NEW...ew/i-PCSN2hw/A
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
A most important question - are Adirondack moose being negatively impacted by winter ticks that have dramatically reduced the population in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Minnesota as well. I believe there is a NY study underway by either DEC or WCS in Saranac Lake.
AFAIK, moose in the ADKs are not impacted by winter ticks because the ticks aren't present in the ADKs. Additionally, brainworm, the other major mortality driver for moose, is transmitted by whitetails (who aren't affected by the parasite). Whitetail density is relatively low in the ADKs and, combined with the low moose density, should result in fewer interactions.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
Grey-Jay

Good news on this specific tick species. I did find this on the DEC site. Not a NY species.

Scientific Name: Dermacentor albipictus

Common Name: Winter tick or Moose tick

Parasites: Moose are susceptible to a parasite known as brainworm that infects the nervous system and usually causes death. Other parasites such as liver flukes and lungworm can weaken a moose and make it susceptible to secondary infections. In other states with a higher moose density, winter ticks have become the main mortality factor for moose, but these ticks have not yet been documented in New York. The winter tick spends three life cycles on an individual animal, feeding on its blood during each cycle.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #12
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
Are moose increasing and moving south?
I don't know if they're increasing and/or moving south, but the area around Lake Desolation has been a moose hotbed for several years. About a half-dozen in there have collars on them and are being tracked by DEC as part of a study.

I saw my first Adirondack moose this summer on Cedar River Flow (follow Justin's thread). It was a real thrill for me and my buddy. We had a young bull come out of one of our deer drives last fall where we hunt near the east shore of Lake George.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #13
gebbyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I don't know if they're increasing and/or moving south, but the area around Lake Desolation has been a moose hotbed for several years. About a half-dozen in there have collars on them and are being tracked by DEC as part of a study.
I thought I had heard that when they have down aerial surveys of the area around Lake Desolation they have identified 14 up there. I know when they find one down low in this area, they dart them and bring them up there. I know they did that with one that was by the Saratoga Race Course a few years back. I've yet to see one up there, but there was one walking on Lake Desolation road a year or two ago!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #14
Grey-Jay

Lake Desolation is probably fine as a rough geographic reference since no other community is nearby, but I believe more accurately based on personal data seeking the core moose population is more eastward within the private City of Amsterdam water supply reservoirs, up through Thousand Acre Swamp, and northward to Conklinville dam area. Based on friends living on Lake D. itself for years, few are actually seen in the vicinity of the lakeside community. Info gathered so perhaps more personal opinion. Based on winter snowshoe prints found, I can say that closer to Great Sacandaga vs. Desolation appears to be the case. But, moose wander of course thus some of these moose ended up in Galway, Amsterdam, and Saratoga perhaps. Of course posting such specifics on a public forum might be unwise. NY moose do get illegally shot.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #15
Klinkhamer

Moose in Charlton

Charlton (a Southern Saratoga County hamlet) Police posted a vid on FB of a Moose walking across their town hall parking lot yesterday. They're on the move all over the region.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #16
Grey-Jay

Moose killed in car accident in Scotia
Old 10-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #17
bobadkhunter

I believe the moose population is increasing steadily. As Cityboy stated this time of the year I get more moose pics than deer, until about the middle of October then it reverses. Sighting a moose on our club/lease(Robinwood Park,Sabattis Town ofLong Lake) is no longer a novelty its becoming the norm. My last check produced a pic of a mature bull with the velvet literally hanging off his horns, several days later same bull on camera all polished up. Included in this check of cameras I had a cow and calf and 2 other bulls(multiple times).
We've had the federal fish/wildlife in along with the state DEC in on our property this year, with the Feds doing DNA data on their droppings(were up to 6 different cows) and the DEC checking on collared moose that roam near our roads. With all the info from trail cams and Fed/state personel(sp). its my/our estimation we have well over a dozen moose on/going thru our property. We've had quite a bit of logging on our lands the last 10 years and its my belief that's why they have kind of "taken" to our area.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #18
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
A most important question - are Adirondack moose being negatively impacted by winter ticks that have dramatically reduced the population in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Minnesota as well. I believe there is a NY study underway by either DEC or WCS in Saranac Lake. Does anyone know? Where I used to see 30 moose in a weekend in northern NH, I have been told seeing one is rare now. I am hoping the NY population is low and isolated enough not to have severe winter tick impact.

That said, I saw this young bull near Great Sacandaga Lake in Saratoga County a month or so ago and had my camera, at 2pm.

The tick issue is something to be aware of for sure, but I don't know that the impact on Moose #'s has proven to be all that significant. Reading the articles coming out of Ontario, CA it seems there has been a gradual decline in Moose #'s up there. Some biologists theorize deer ticks and disease is affecting the Moose adversely, but most of them also acknowledge that population dynamics is a complex and nuanced issue; it's very rarely one singular factor which affects the #'s, but rather a number of different factors. Also, animal populations routinely go through cycles of up's and down's.

The Turkey #'s are also experiencing a gradual decline, but their population is still much better off relative to several decades ago. The new trend with Moose is something that wildlife managers are monitoring; I don't know that we're at the point where alarm bells need to be going off.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #19
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
I don't know that we're at the point where alarm bells need to be going off.
I was just at an R5 Fish & Wildlife Management Board meeting with a DEC biologist two weeks ago. The moose study is ongoing and there is hope that an accurate assessment of the population and knowledge of overall health of Adirondack moose will be the outcome, along with an eventual management plan. They've collared and are GPS tracking several cows to track reproduction.

They said on a number of occasions the moose here are in decent health compared to parts of Canada, Minnesota and other Northeast states. I don't know if moose will ever be hunted in this state, and some folks think the study is for that purpose, but I've heard no suggestion of it. I do know it won't happen unless there is accurate data on the moose population.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #20
WalkingStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinkhamer View Post
Charlton (a Southern Saratoga County hamlet) Police posted a vid on FB of a Moose walking across their town hall parking lot yesterday. They're on the move all over the region.
I grew up in the area and had a close friend 1.5 miles down the road with about 350 acres of property. He would go on long walks with his dog around the property and he has seen a few moose tracks throughout the years.

Always appeared to be a lone bull passing through the area but it has happened more than expected. I know one of the moose was hit by an automobile but cannot confirm the outcome of the rest.
WalkingStick is offline   Reply With Quote