Cousin's Appalachian Trail thru hike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cousin's Appalachian Trail thru hike!

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I've just gotta brag! My cousin and his wife (60ish yo) are currently in New Jersey on their thru hike of the entire 2160 mile Appalachian Trail! They started in mid-March and aim to complete it by the end of September. I was able to visit with them at a family reunion in PA a couple of weeks ago. He said it has been on her bucket list and they started planning and obtaining/testing gear two years ago. They actually live in Michigan and he is retired from the Coast Guard and she is currently a part-time RN. They figure their endeavor is costing them about $2000 per month, which includes gear, food, hotels (once a week) etc. She is posting daily video reports on Facebook, so family and friends can keep tabs on them, and so she will have a record of their adventure. Lots more I could report, but I don't want to bore you.
    So...how awesome is that!?!?
    "The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
    My pictures:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums

Nice! I spent some time with through hikers on the AT around Blacksburg VA in the mid-90s. The people your cousin's age seemed to have approached it with such a great spirit, not so much a thing meant to be conquered but a journey to relish.

All the best to them!

Comment

I just spent a week volunteering at a hiker's hostel in New Hampshire and saw a number of AT hikers during my stay there. Quite an interesting group of people for sure. There were two SoBos there, having started at Katahdin in early July. In various conversations I learned that the endeavor is definitely not an inexpensive one, and some folks were near the end of their money supply and were trying to make things stretch as best they could over their remaining miles. Last week's heavy rains in Vt and NH made a number of AT hikers hole up at various hostels because the weather and trail conditions were so bad.
      sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

That's great, good for them. I would think that late summer in New England should be extra nice after getting through the hotter weather further south.
        Zach

Comment

Good luck to them. That is great!

Comment

Just saw on Facebook that my cousin and his wife have now hiked 1,858 miles! They rented a car today and drove to the top of Mt Washington to get a look at what lies before them! Really proud of what they are accomplishing!
            "The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
            My pictures:

Comment

They have crossed into Vermont!
              My pictures:

Comment

Working...
              X