Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

Paddling opportunities near Exit 29?

Where can one paddle near(est) the Northway exit #29? Asking not for a friend but for myself and my wife.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Palmer Pond is directly west of Exit 29 with public access along Blue Ridge Rd, but not sure if there are any campsites.
There’s also the Schroon River, Cheney Pond & Lester Flow, the Hudson, the Opalescent, Henderson Lake, Elk Lake, & Boreas Ponds.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #3
Neil
Kayak-46

Can the public put in and paddle on Elk Lake or do you have to be a paying guest?
Can you drive into Cheney Pond? (not into the pond itself LOL, just to the shore.)
Old 09-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Can the public put in and paddle on Elk Lake or do you have to be a paying guest?
Can you drive into Cheney Pond? (not into the pond itself LOL, just to the shore.)
Pretty sure you need to be a paying guest at Elk Lake, but Iív never been there myself. Cheney Pond has a short bumpy dirt road, your Sube should do fine.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #5
Neil
Kayak-46

I think Cheney Pond will fit the bill perfectly! Thanks Justin!
We are hiking Adams on Saturday and will toodle around Cheney Pond on Friday.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Neil,
If you're poking around Cheney, make sure you paddle the outlet to the Boreas River (Lester Flow that Justin mentioned).
There's a couple miles of flatwater that you can travel to the remnants of Lester Dam.
Slack current, increasingly better views as you near the old dam site.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Cheney Pond & Lester Flow...
https://youtu.be/JlJwKLnXCWY
Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Wow that Cheney pond leanto site is seriously stripped.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #9
Grey-Jay

If you are hiking Adams, just down the road in Tahawus, is one of the most beautiful paddles in the Adirondacks-henderson Lake. 1/3 mile carry or wheelable trail however.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #10
rickhart

Quote:
Pretty sure you need to be a paying guest at Elk Lake, but Iív never been there myself. Cheney Pond has a short bumpy dirt road, your Sube should do fine.
When I stayed there last year, and commented that I wished I'd brought my Hornbeck, they told me outside boats aren't allowed (to avoid invasives); that you have to rent one of theirs.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #11
rickhart

Quote:
Pretty sure you need to be a paying guest at Elk Lake, but Iív never been there myself.
When I stayed there last year, and commented that I wished I'd brought my Hornbeck, they told me outside boats aren't allowed (to avoid invasives); that you have to rent one of theirs.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:24 PM   #12
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I'd be a bit wary about taking a Subaru all the way down to Cheney Pond. It's probably doable but you'll definitely want to go real slow- the road gets pretty rough.

I'll also second the Henderson Lake recommendation. It's about a quarter mile walk from the Upper Works parking area to the lake itself, but the trail is wheelable the entire way so with a portage cart it's pretty easy. There's some phenomenal views on the lake, as well as 3 boat access designated campsites and a lean-to. The lean-to gets a lot of use but the tent sites are surprisingly not as popular as you'd expect.

Between Henderson and Cheney, I would probably pick Henderson. Not to knock Cheney at all (it's a nice spot), but IMO Henderson is even better.

I know some folks paddle the flatwaters along the Hudson River just off Upper Works Road, but I haven't done this myself so I'm not sure how worthwhile it is.

Elk Lake is guests only.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #13
Neil
Kayak-46

We have paddled on Henderson but that was years ago. I hadn't thought of it. Cheney Pond-Boreas-Lester Flow seems interesting too.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #14
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I know some folks paddle the flatwaters along the Hudson River just off Upper Works Road, but I haven't done this myself so I'm not sure how worthwhile it is.
We have paddled the flat water several times over the past couple of years down to the junction with the Opalescent (& then up the O until we were blocked by a tree across the water). It can get fairly shallow once the flat water narrows to "river size" ... it's fine in the spring after the snow melt but I'm not sure what it's like right now.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

If there's enough water on the Boreas, it's a nice little trip

But unless you're fully prepared (the right boat, experience, car shuttle), don't go beyond the former dam...

Old 09-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #16
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Looking at this sat view:
https://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.91217...0Mountain%20NY

and comparing it to your video, there appear to be (quite a bit) more rapids on Boreas in the sat view. Any idea why that might be? Time of year being most likely explanation I suppose.

Or I could be looking at sun reflecting off the water or off of ice.

Last edited by Neil; 09-20-2018 at 03:43 PM..
Neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #17
Lucky13

Sorry for the "off trail post", but thanks for the link to that mapper, detail is much clearer than the Google "enhanced view".

It has been about 20 years since my wife and I walked into Cheney, I don't remember the road being that long, but maybe we drove to the first pull off and walked the rest of the way.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #18
dpc34

Don't pass up paddling the flat water along the road up to the mines...very nice...putting in at the campsite along the road and then going up stream is a very nice paddle...you can go all the way down to the O and beyond...good luck ...when are you going...may be in the area early Oct and would be happy to show you...
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:

and comparing it to your video, there appear to be (quite a bit) more rapids on Boreas in the sat view. Any idea why that might be? Time of year being most likely explanation I suppose.

Or I could be looking at sun reflecting off the water or off of ice.
Your marker looks to be at the old Lester Dam site, which is as far as you’d want to go for an out & back paddle from Cheney Pond. Depending on water levels, there are a couple sections with some swift running water & rocks to negotiate, also a couple beaver dams to cross, and some possible shallow sections where you may need to line your canoe for a hundred yards or so (as seen in the video), but for the most part it’s a very fun day trip down to the dam & back, especially if you’re making a few stops to relax on the numerous sand bars, and enjoying the views from the numerous rock ledges along the way.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #20
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:

and comparing it to your video, there appear to be (quite a bit) more rapids on Boreas in the sat view. Any idea why that might be? Time of year being most likely explanation I suppose..
If you zoom in, you can see quite a bit of snow still in the trees in a lot of places, so maybe spring runoff?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote