Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #1
Stew0576

Cage lake

Looking to take my son on a canoe trip in the 5 ponds, mid September, launching from the inlet launch, have many eye on cage lake, can you make it all the way in a canoe? Was told probably not
Stew0576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Definitely not. The outlet is a pretty small creek: https://picasaweb.google.com/dsettah...08945068972818
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:35 PM   #3
Stew0576

Looking for a remote spot to camp for a week, really want a lean to, how about wolf pond?
Old 07-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew0576 View Post
Looking for a remote spot to camp for a week, really want a lean to, how about wolf pond?
First: Remember that you need to get a permit to camp in the same location for more than 3 nights, so if you're planning to camp for a full week at one spot, you'll need the permit. Permits are free and can be obtained from the DEC Forest Ranger who's patrol area you'll be camped in. It's a good idea to contact the Ranger at least two weeks in advance of your trip to ensure that there is time to get a hold of the ranger (it can be difficult due to their schedules) and get the permit issued to you.

To find the appropriate ranger to ask for a permit, use the Ranger Roster on the DEC website. Look first for the appropriate county to determine the DEC region, then look for the town you'll be camped in. If you can't find the right ranger, contact the regional headquarters (in the case of the Five Ponds Wilderness, it is Region 6) and the receptionist who answers the phone will be able to help you obtain to right contact information.

Some rangers may also not be willing to issue a permit to camp at a lean-to for a full week, as lean-tos tend to be popular destinations. Remember also that the permit is not a reservation- the sites are still first-come, first-serve.

If the permit process is too cumbersome for your liking, you can simply modify your itinerary so that you relocate camp to a new location every 3 nights.

Wolf Pond is nice, and generally gets low to moderate levels of use. The lean-to is set back away from the water atop a hill in a very nice stand of mixed pines and young hardwoods. You're definitely not going to get a canoe in there, however.

There are some lean-tos and some very nice campsites scattered along the Oswegatchie River. You could easily spend a full week exploring both the river and the side trails to various nearby destinations in the Five Ponds Wilderness. Either set up a base camp for the full week with a permit, or relocate every 3 nights to a new site on the river. The river gets moderate amounts of paddling traffic but generally doesn't get too crowded.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #5
Stew0576

Thank you, that doesn't sound too bothersome, have only been there once and that was for a day trip12 years ago, been looking forward to bringing my son ever since, really wanted the seclusion but I can deal with staying in the main river if I have to
Old 07-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
Stew0576

Would a 3 mile portage be to much for 2 rookies?
Old 07-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
Stew0576

One more question, is thievery a problem? I wouldn't think so but many wife is all worried about me leaving stuff at camp while doing day trips
Old 07-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

Either place you are looking at going to are really long hauls from the Oswegatchie. It's not something I would suggest a rookie to do. It's not something a lot of veterans would even do.

If it were me, I'd stash my boat off the Wolf Pond trail and hike out there to stay for a few nights.

No one will steal your stuff out there but I would stash the boat and you might want to chain it to a tree to be safe.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #9
Stew0576

Thank you, I appreciate the advice
Old 07-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Definitely agree with Montcalm. Leave the canoe by the Oswegatchie (hide it off trail someplace where you'll be able to find it again) and hike in to the ponds you're look at.