Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you wash your clothing and gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you wash your clothing and gear?

I did a search for this, and didn't find this exact question. If there are similar threads, please let me know.

I am wondering how often you wash your clothing and gear? In the past I have only taken one or two trips a month, but now being out every weekend, washing things has become more more of an issue.

I would like advice on how much to wash my shells, my fleece and wool jackets, my gaiters, my boot liners, etc. Nothing in specific, just looking for feedback. This would also extend into cleaning gear in general, such as poles, backpacks, etc. And what factors weigh into your decision?

Any counsel out there?
    Last edited by adktyler; 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM.
    Videos --- Camp Loonsong --- Mountains Climbed

I use the "inhaling method".....if it's starting to get a little ripe, it's probably about that time to give that particular item of clothing a little "douching" ...also when I take my woolen hiking pants off and throw them in the corner and they stand up by themselves, they're probably ready for a little run through the ringer too

Comment

If it smells like BO or monkey butt, it gets washed.
      I only wash shells when they get muddy or if the water repellancy needs a refreshing. baselayers get washed every time. mid layers usually can go on two hikes before they need washing.

as for "hardware" like poles. I just brush dried mud off them. anything that can rust gets washed and dried and maybe oiled for storage, especially seasonal stuff like crampons or snowshoes that I won't be using for a while. boots usually get re-waterproofed as needed.

packs and things like that only get washed if I spill something in them that might dry sticky or smelly or that might attract animals. or if something wet stays in there too long and it gets mildewey, or if they get really muddy. and it might just be a wipe with a wet or soapy towel.
      He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbitling View Post
        If it smells like BO or monkey butt, it gets washed.
        I only wash shells when they get muddy or if the water repellancy needs a refreshing. baselayers get washed every time. mid layers usually can go on two hikes before they need washing.

as for "hardware" like poles. I just brush dried mud off them. anything that can rust gets washed and dried and maybe oiled for storage, especially seasonal stuff like crampons or snowshoes that I won't be using for a while. boots usually get re-waterproofed as needed.

packs and things like that only get washed if I spill something in them that might dry sticky or smelly or that might attract animals. or if something wet stays in there too long and it gets mildewey, or if they get really muddy. and it might just be a wipe with a wet or soapy towel.
        Monkey butt, huh? Now that's nasty....if it smells that bad it may be time to "86" it....either that or save it to wear in black fly season.

Comment

I'm only speculating, never having gotten close enough to a monkey's butt to smell it.
          let's just say any kind of animal butt smell qualifies it for the laundry.
          He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams.

Comment

Good thread!

I'm probably way overdue on washing some of my gear!

...So when it smells like sh!t, you should wash it?

Honestly, besides the obvious things like pots and pans and silverware, the only thing I think I've ever really washed is one of my tents. That was because it was covered in mud.

Comment

While we're on this topic I was wondering what cleaning agents are most successful in the removal of longjohn "racing stripes"?

Comment

Originally posted by paddlewheel View Post
                While we're on this topic I was wondering what cleaning agents are most successful in the removal of longjohn "racing stripes"?
                sulfuric acid.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK88 View Post
                  sulfuric acid.
                  Won't that tend to thin the material just a wee bit?

Comment

When my wife complains...a lot. I don't wash shells at all, l just wear them in the rain. Monkey butt? I've been called worse. Accurate but worse.
                    Let there be peace on earth and good will toward all.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                      Good thread!

I'm probably way overdue on washing some of my gear!

...So when it smells like sh!t, you should wash it?

Honestly, besides the obvious things like pots and pans and silverware, the only thing I think I've ever really washed is one of my tents. That was because it was covered in mud.
                      Muddy tent huh?....that'll teach you to stay away from them damn wanna be Woodstock hippieass music-fest partython 4 day tent wreckers.

Comment

Won't that tend to thin the material just a wee bit?
                        Yea, but it will get rid of the stripes in question...just about the only thing that will.

P.S. Thank you all for your helpful and informative responses.

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ADK88 View Post
                          Yea, but it will get rid of the stripes in question...just about the only thing that will.

P.S. Thank you all for your helpful and informative responses.

LOL
                          I always wanted to get a pair of those red union suit LJ's with the "trap door" in the back...

Comment

I always wanted to get a pair of those red union suit LJ's with the "trap door" in the back...
                            Oh yea, just like Dennis the Mennis!

By the way, is it just me or does the blue in your signature line look 3D?
                            Last edited by adktyler; 03-10-2009, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I never really thought of washing some of the gear, like backpacks or gators. Tents - I let em get wet and dry them on a few hot sunny days with all the zips open.

Anything wool gets hung out in the sun in the summer on a few clear days and beaten with a broom. Shells - once or twice a year. Long underwear - all the time. Dogs - twice a year. They smell the worst and need it most, but honestly getting them in to a bathtub requires that I get in there with them. It's pure folly.

Comment

Working...
                              X