Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
Schip

Using Old Stove and Water Filter

Hello,

Recently, my desire to enjoy overnight backpacking has been rekindled. It's been 20 years since I did any backpacking. I have found some of my old gear and I wonder if they are still usable. These items have been stored in the crawlspace under my house, in a rubbermaid container. They were always kept dry. They only had light use, even when I did backpack.

1. Whisperlite International Stove: Is there anything I need to worry about when firing it up for the first time? It seems to be in very good condition and is not rusted. I only ever used Coleman fuel. I have a can of Coleman fuel that is about 5 years old. Can I use that, or should I get a fresh can?

2. Pur Water Filter. I probably filtered, at most 10 gallons of clear river water with it. I took it apart and the filter part looks clean. Can I still use that filter, or should I replace it? If it should be replaced, can anyone suggest how I find a replacement. I can't find it online.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I would closely check anything plastic on the stove (such as the pump assembly) and make sure it has no cracks. Try putting the pump on the fuel bottle, and pump it up and set the fuel bottle sideways, and see if any fuel leaks. Sometimes the plastic can get brittle over time and crack.

Also check the o-rings on the caps to the fuel bottles to make sure they haven't become brittle, either.

There may have been some condensation inside the fuel can, which means there may be some water in the fuel. Usually not a huge issue, but if the stove sputters a little bit try using fresh fuel and see if that fixes the problem.

The filter is probably also OK, but again, in addition to inspecting it, you might want to check/grease the o-rings if necessary. I think the Pur hiking filter line was sold to Katadyn. Not sure if the replacement filters for the modern Katadyn filters will fit your Pur or not.

A lot of people like the fabric filters for their high rate of flow, but I've always preferred ceramic filters (like the MSR filters) for their ease of cleaning in the field. A modern variant of filter that has seen a lot of popularity in recent years is the Sawyer brand (the Sawyer Squeeze comes with an attachment that allows you to put it in-line on the tube from a hydration bladder).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
Golddragon214

I have a few old Whisperlite stoves and you should check the seals on the fuel connection. Dry rot will cause you misery and could be bad if a fire starts.

I also had a Pur water filter I purchased in the late 90s that was one of the only filters that was able to filter viruses at the time. I used it in Panama. But sadly it was discontinued a few years later when Pur was bought out by another company. I would guess the filter is still OK. But you might want to look at a newer model in the near future.
Golddragon214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
dundee

Double check the hoses and gasket on the stove. A friend had WL and it blew up on him burning him w/2nd degree burns.

Old Coleman fuel can work, but new is better. Fire the stove up and see how it runs.

Run a diluted bleach/water combo thru the filter (1TBSP/gallon) thru the filter to clean it out and check hoses and gaskets.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote