Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #21
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Yeah the dog pics are cute and all, but what do you do when your dog gets in a scrap with another dog (a dog who may instigate while leashed)?
It has happened, most recently this past spring when (leashed) Jenny & I walked past an occupied campsite with two loose dogs roaming around. One of the dogs attacked Jenny, unproked, and in my haste to break things up I fell flat on my ass haha, but not before I got in a swift hard kick to the stomach of the attacking dog, which seperated the two. In the past, I have also used my hiking stick or trekking pole to fend off an attacking dog. Jenny has been attacked several times by loose dogs, not because she instigates while on her leash, but because she is a submissive omega. Alpha dogs are usually pretty quick to put her in her place upon a first encounter.
And I agree, a dog may sometimes feel vulnerable and more defensive when on a leash. Jenny sometimes can down right be a pain in the ass on a leash, especially if it's early on in the hike. As the day goes on and she tires out a bit she becomes much more cooperative. Even though she is 10+ years old now, she still has plenty of energy!

Last edited by Justin; 08-15-2015 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Typos
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #22
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Dundee, you seem a little adamant about keeping a dog on a leash... Care to share your experiences with unleashed dogs with us?
My stories would fill pages... Let me start by saying I like dogs. I am not a dog owner myself, but I grew up with dogs.

I've been bitten, charged and harrassed by loose dogs in city parks (with leash laws!) and on trails. I'll be on a trail, coming around a corner and there's a loose dog coming at me full speed, growling and snarling. Yeah, I get pissed! "But he/she is friendly!"

A leash would cure 99.9% of these problems, but many dog owners are apathetic, too lazy to do a simple thing like clip a leash on the dog.

A lot of people have trouble realizing that they are on public land where they will meet other people. They must walk out there and go, "We're the only people in the whole universe!" Or, "it's so cute to let our dog run".

It is a courtesy to leash your dog. These people wouldn't like it if my dog did it to them, but it seems to be alright if they do it to others.

And we all know about encounters with wildlife.

A few years ago, a couple in Lake Luzerne were walking their dog, unleashed, and it got its head caught in a trappers trap. The dog died later from the injury. I don't know about a leash law in Luzerne, but common sense should prevail. I'm sorry their dog was killed, but had they done the simple act of leashing it...
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:21 PM   #23
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for the reply, Dundee.
Sure sounds like you have good reasons for wanting people to always keep their dog on a leash.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #24
Justin
Moving along

Hey Jetter, just curious...
Are you training your border collie mix for SAR?
And how does using a leash vs not using a leash relate to the training?
-Justin
Old 08-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #25
jetter

Justin

Justin, no on SAR for Ari. She was a shelter dog I grabbed the day they were putting her down. Has been a long road but she is great and we might train for agility. She love the woods and loves winter. This week will be brutal for both of us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arisnow.jpg (157 Bytes, 139 views)
jetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #26
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetter View Post
Justin, no on SAR for Ari. She was a shelter dog I grabbed the day they were putting her down. Has been a long road but she is great and we might train for agility. She love the woods and loves winter. This week will be brutal for both of us.
Very nice, thanks Jack.
Unfortunately unable to view the attachment.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #27
Dachshundhiker

Jetter, let me know how it goes. I am planning a 4 day trek for sometime early fall with my beagle/dachshund mix named Ted. I am only going to have one car so I need a plan for getting me back to my car from my finish point...does anyone know if it's possible to uber from lake placid ? Lol I'm guessing no...

After a long summer hiking in the white mountains I am looking forward to a hike with little elevation gain, any tips for best section for a 3-4 night trek in the early fall/late summer?
Dachshundhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #28
jetter

Will do

I am getting stressed out as all this crap is coming up next week that has to be done and I am determined to get out on the trail not answering e-mails and phone calls. My job is stressful enough just give me one week a year lol. At the beginning of this thread some people had some great section hike suggestions, check them out. Also, keep in touch about the fall and I might be able to help with a ride all the stars line up.
jetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #29
Holdstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCedar View Post
Porcupine encounters are a risk for dogs off-leash, and the results can be very bad when a long distance from a trailhead. Just keep that in mind.
Ugh. The thought of a pup encountering a porcupine a days hike from a trail head is one of my bigger fears. Admittedly, the chances of that happening are remote, but I've seen the damage and absolute mess a porcupine can cause to a dog's face and paws. Those quills are destructive, hard to extract, and can 'migrate.' A few of our dogs got it so bad one summer they had to be put under to extract all the quills. If something like that happened on the trail I honestly don't know what I would have done.

Anyway, as to dogs on the NLP. We've hiked it with ours. Have had no problems at all. We do what others here have stated, leash them when we approach people. We understand that not everyone is familiar or comfortable around dogs (or animals in general), even some who think they are - so even though it is not required, we don't take the chance.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #30
chrs

I have a lot to say....
I just completed the NPT my dog is a 45 lb blue heeler mix. I sent her home with my wife who met me at lake durant. I would suggest always having a plan if your dog cannot make it. Her pads were very sore from grit between them causing friction. She also ate some bug that stung her on the roof of her mouth about 3 miles before carry leanto. I had to give her a benadryl because she swelled up in her mouth and her eyes were even begin to swell closed. Benadryl= very tired dog so I ended up carrying her about 1.5 of those last miles because she kept laying down and trying to sleep. Also in terms of the leash not everyone likes dogs while my dog is not always leashed I have a leash attached to my pack and ready to leash her when I see anyone, when approaching a camp/leanto. Also my first day on the trail I saw a black bear about 20 yards off trail. I always practice my off leash commands and because of this I was able to call her to me immediately and avoid being the new paper headline everyone is talking about. I the end the first half of my trip was a wonderful experience shared with a close companion and i hope you have the same.
-Have a plan to get your dog out
-Be ready to carry your dog if they cannot walk or eat a bug and are about to pass out from benadryl
-Like kids only you love your dog as much as you do
-You are in the wild not a zoo animals will protect themselves
chrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #31
peskypup

Sorry to hear about your dog, chrs, but thanks for posting this. It's a great cautionary tale for anyone who hikes with their dog.

Hope your pup made a quick recovery and is able to hit the trail with you for a shorter adventure soon!
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #32
chrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypup View Post
Sorry to hear about your dog, chrs, but thanks for posting this. It's a great cautionary tale for anyone who hikes with their dog.

Hope your pup made a quick recovery and is able to hit the trail with you for a shorter adventure soon!
My dog was fine 2 days later and when I got home from my 8 days she woke me up the next morning for a walk!
chrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #33
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdstrong View Post
Ugh. The thought of a pup encountering a porcupine a days hike from a trail head is one of my bigger fears. Admittedly, the chances of that happening are remote, but I've seen the damage and absolute mess a porcupine can cause to a dog's face and paws. Those quills are destructive, hard to extract, and can 'migrate.' A few of our dogs got it so bad one summer they had to be put under to extract all the quills. If something like that happened on the trail I honestly don't know what I would have done.
Another good reason to always carry a Swiss Army knife.
Cut the quills as close to the skin as possible (which loosens the barb) while leaving just enough of the quill exposed to grab with the pliers to pull out after trimming. The hardest part is keeping the dog under control, and it's probably best to get to a vet asap.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #34
Holdstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Another good reason to always carry a Swiss Army knife.
Cut the quills as close to the skin as possible (which loosens the barb) while leaving just enough of the quill exposed to grab with the pliers to pull out after trimming. The hardest part is keeping the dog under control, and it's probably best to get to a vet asap.
I totally agree! If there are a handful of quills, this is the best way to try to handle it. And I second the recommendation that if this happens you should go to a vet anyway. This may be common knowledge for others, but it was news to me that the quills you don't completely pull out of the dog can "migrate" around the poor animal later, even into vital organs.

My big fear stems from the experience we had when one of our dogs got nailed hard a few summers ago. The quills were all in her mouth, tongue, going down her throat, all over the face and neck area, paws. Even with the dog out cold at the vet's office, it took 3 of us all night (4-5 hours, seriously) to remove them. We stopped counting close to the hundred quill mark.

That is an extreme example, but good god if that ever happened on the trail... Sorry, I'm kind of leading us way off topic there.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #35
totsbels

Your dog is the cutest hiker I've ever seen! I never let my dogs off their leashes, not because they're vicious (they're super sweet), but because I'm paranoid that they'll hurt themselves in their explorations. We had a close call once when Fiona, my shepherd mix, went bounding down a trail, picked up too much speed, and slammed into a fallen trunk that was hidden under leaves; she narrowly missed a sharp branch protruding from the trunk. Now it's harnesses and leashes all day every day!
Old 04-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #36
hiking_mermaid

I keep my dogs leashed because unfortunately they are runaway bunnies and can't be trusted to stick around and also to not go charging at people and other dogs to greet them. I've also read forums where people threaten to taser or mace off-leash dogs that approach them, and I really don't want that. I personally don't mind if a well-trained and friendly dog is off-leash, which is usually pretty obvious from their body language and responsiveness to their human. Of course, I wish all dogs could safely run free and happy through the woods but I've had enough encounters with unfriendly dogs/ignorant owners/dogs hurting themselves to understand why it can't be that way.
hiking_mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #37
dmartenvt

People do tend to be opinionated about dogs on trails. One thing I use with my dogs are jingle bell collars, it helps warn the wildlife (and humans) that Santa's idiots are on the way. I tend to hike deserted trails as much as possible so I can let my dogs off leash without disturbing others. If I'm on a trail where I know I will encounter others, they will be leashed as soon as I even think I hear anyone. I'm having an issue with my "hiking dog". I generally hike with my two dogs, one died of cancer this year, and she, the fierce Malinois, is refusing to hike without another dog along. It's breaking my heart just a little.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote