Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
Schip

Easy Snowshoe Trips in the Southern 'Daks

Hello All,

It was a lovely early Spring weekend to be out and about. I didn't have time for any long outings, so I settled for 2 short but very satisfying trips. On Sat. I took the dogs and went to Broomstick Lake. We had the trail to ourselves. I was surprised there was no one else out, considering the lovely weather and the relatively short and easy trail. The parking lot was plowed out and the trail was well packed. (Photo 1)

I made excellent time getting to the lake. I have only been there once before, and that was in the summertime. I was delighted to see the trail continued on along to the other side of the lake, so I just had to follow it. (Photo 2). I was very taken by a group of three trees standing sentinel along the shore. (Photo 3)

The trail went all the way to the far end of the lake and into the woods. It then followed a small brook to some lovely cliffs. (Photo 4) I never knew these cliffs were there. The pic doesn't do them justice. The trail ended at a log that had fallen across the trail. It was a good place to sit and enjoy the beauty and solitude. All too soon, I had to head back.

On Sunday, I had a great breakfast of hot coffee and biscuits smothered in sausage gravy at the Hope Diner. Then I headed to Pumpkin Hollow Road. I went North from the trail head. Again, I was the only one out. The trail was well used by snowmobiles, but there were many bare patches and exposed boulders. I guess that explains why I didn't see any snowmobiles! Near the beginning, the trail passed by Willis Lake Outlet. (Photo 5) The whole way the woods were open and inviting and the trail well packed. (Photo 6) I only went out to the bridge that crosses Coulombe Creek and then had to turn around. (Photo 7) I wish I had the time (and the fitness level) to go all the way to Pine Orchard from there. Maybe next year.:-)

Altogether it was a fabulous weekend to be out enjoying the beautiful 'Daks.

Kath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broomstick 1.jpg (136.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Broomstick 2.jpg (125.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Broomstick 3.jpg (139.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Broomstick 4.jpg (127.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Pumpkin Hollow 1.jpg (140.4 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Pumpkin Hollow 2.jpg (142.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Pumpkin Hollow 3.jpg (133.0 KB, 131 views)
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
Tick Magnet

The trail from PHR to Pine Orchard passes three old farm buildings and an old well on the way to Coulombe Creek. Were any of them visible in the snow?

One of my favorite trails.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

well, i've been to BS Lake a few times, and even made the excursion to the far end, but didn't know about the cliffs! guess i'll hafta go back again now, hopefully before it all melts...
great pics, thank you!
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
Schip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
The trail from PHR to Pine Orchard passes three old farm buildings and an old well on the way to Coulombe Creek. Were any of them visible in the snow?

One of my favorite trails.
This was the only thing I saw. I think it's supposed to be the foundation from a barn?? I didn't include it in my original post because I thought maybe I had already put up too many pics.:-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pumpkin Hollow 4.jpg (141.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schip View Post
This was the only thing I saw. I think it's supposed to be the foundation from a barn?? I didn't include it in my original post because I thought maybe I had already put up too many pics.:-)
Never too many pictures

Yes, that's the foundation that the trail passes through before it hits the Mighty Coulombe. Very cool stuff!
Old 03-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
cuterocky
Kalie

Your pups sit so well for pictures!
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
Schip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuterocky View Post
Your pups sit so well for pictures!
Thanks! I am a professional dog trainer. The smaller red and white one is a Master Agility Champion, and the black and white one soon will be as well. Proud of my babies.:-)

Kath
Old 03-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #8
real3175

Great pictures!
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote