Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2018, 06:27 PM   #21
TJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuchov View Post
I've seen this on some USGS maps, but theres very/extemely little literatre or information anywhere online from what I've been able to find. Is it inaccesable, or does nobody visit it?
I'm kinda interested to go check it out and get a few pictures of the first few feet [I'm a hiker, not a spelunker].
the Ice Cave isnt on Colvin, its on the Lake. the fishing there can be so productive the Club restricts even it's Members from fishing there. it is a shoreline cave that is a subterranean brook outlet, hence the icy cold water, double-hence the excellent fishing!
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #22
rickhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclimber View Post
The Lake Colden trail to Colden is a VERY STEEP trail, aka "Lake Colden Horror Trail," "is it a possibility the cave could be on that side?" I've only climbed Colden once from that angle and descended that side only once, all other times I've done Colden from either the Trap Dike, Felspar Trail Slide of 1990 and Lake Arnold.
Wait -- the Lake Colden trail to Colden is very steep, so you've only done that once -- the other times you've used the Trap Dike or the Southeast slide.
Very droll!
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #23
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
.. I was hiking around the southern end of Lake Colden where I took this picture. There is what looks like a cave, or something interesting on the southwestern side of the mountain. Has anyone else seen this or better yet, has anyone bushwhacked over to it?
That's probably a shadow. The rock face can be seen (through the trees) from the Mount Colden Trail and corresponds to the one in this satellite image ... where no tantalizing cave-like darkness is visible.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.1...t&o=mbt&n=0.29