Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
rdl

dumb stick

Has anyone used this: https://www.dumb-stick.com/ and able to comment good or bad about it ? Any other similar products anyone has used ?
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Bob K

DIY boat trailer option

I saw this "stick" a few years ago and tried making one (prototype from plastic pipe). Drilling the large hole on an angle for seat post difficult. While it looks interesting I think I came up with a better alternative & have since made several to cart in canoes to Boreas Ponds & Newcomb Lake.

If you have a good rear bike rack you can make an attachment that works great, I have an "Ibera Bike Rack - Bicycle Touring Carrier Plus+". (I see they have one now for disk brakes - I had to customize for my mtn bike & fat bike).

I have a 28" piece of 3/4" copper pipe attached to the rack - via slip fit with an adjustable SS pipe clamp to hold securely. At the rear end of the pipe I drilled a hole and attached an eye bolt pointing down. (needs to be 6+" past rear tire)

Secure a piece of wood a few feet long on your boat in two places so the wood extends out past the bow. Mount another eye bolt (facing up) with a "snap hook" to quickly attach to the one on the bike. I originally used shock cords to secure wood to boat but later upgraded to U hooks that bolt in place over thwarts.

Enhancement to make for smoother ride is to use shock cord (bungy) to make the bike/boat connection somewhat flexible (I keep the snap hook in place too). You can also make the wood/bow connection flexible too. For my Rapidfire I used an old XC ski so it has some built in flex to it. That needed to be far longer than the wood for my 10.5' Hornbeck.

The wheels need to placed towards the rear of the boat strapped securely in place. I use straps around plus looped ahead & behind wheels to thwart or rear brace. Keep the weight down in the boat & check for balance (need only slightly forward weighted.

I also have inexpensive fold able clip-on baskets that attach to the bike rack. Best for heavy stuff there. This works great for canoes. I even made up a trailer using canoe wheels & 8' 1x3, & a 2'x2' piece of plywood & big box attached. This allows easy transportation for loads and allowed me to bike camp in Big Cypress preserve in FL where bike access is only 3 miles vs 30+ on bad roads by car. Easily hauled a full cooler & firewood.

Note that with much weight "pulling down" the rear of the bike, balance, particularly when turning, is tricky. Trailers that mount to the rear axle are far more rider friendly. For hauling much weight, the "kid trailers" are great & can often be rented.

I've riden many miles with either a canoe or some other load - but not on twisty or really bumpy trails. Best for dirt roads. Multiple people stopped me on my way to Boreas to check it out. I saw a similar rig someone had made when there once.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote