Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
whitefoot

NPT Whitehouse

does anyone know if the road to the trailhead at whitehouse (sacandaga river)will be open by may 16th???
whitefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
RC
Woods Runner

Didn't they close part of that road permanently ?

RC
Old 05-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
whitefoot

Well thats a bummer, i was planning on accessing my section of trail from there to do the trail maintenance from mud lake to silver lake,

guess i'll be comming in from benson and hiking 7.5 miles before i start my work, it would have been much shorter comming in from whitehouse,

oh well, guess we'll hike in friday , work our way to mud lake sat. and hike back out the 13.2 miles on sunday, should be fun!!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefoot View Post
Well thats a bummer, i was planning on accessing my section of trail from there to do the trail maintenance from mud lake to silver lake,

guess i'll be comming in from benson and hiking 7.5 miles before i start my work, it would have been much shorter comming in from whitehouse,

oh well, guess we'll hike in friday , work our way to mud lake sat. and hike back out the 13.2 miles on sunday, should be fun!!
Brian, spot a car where the road is closed to Whitehouse and then hike out from mud lake to there on Sunday, or you may have enough daylight if you get an early start to hike out to Whitehouse +2 on Saturday.

Other possibility is to call the Highway department in Wells, 518 924-3155 and ask to speak to Clay or leave a message for him to call you back. Tell him what you are doing and ask if you can take AtV's into Whitehouse. They left enough room between the boulders for ATV's to get through.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
whitefoot

Thanks Hawk,

Im not sure how far it is from the trailhead at whitehouse to the road ,

is whitehouse where the parking area is at the suspention bridge over sacandaga river?

i guess my question is, how far is it from, say sacandaga bridge to where you think we could park a car?

i cant find that info in my NPT guide.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
sky
defender of newtbears

It's about 2.5 miles between where the road is blocked off and the bridge.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
whitefoot

cool,thanks,

maybe it will be a through hike? we'll see if we want to drive 2 cars with the price of gas,
Old 05-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefoot View Post
Thanks Hawk,

Im not sure how far it is from the trailhead at whitehouse to the road ,

is whitehouse where the parking area is at the suspention bridge over sacandaga river?

i guess my question is, how far is it from, say sacandaga bridge to where you think we could park a car?

i cant find that info in my NPT guide.

Thanks.
Yes

&

actually just about 2 miles from the closed part of the road to the parking lot.

I talked with someone from the town today, The troad may be open this coming weekend.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
southernadkhiker
Jumping Treman Falls

I hope so....planning on doing the gorge nxt week as a backpacking trip (assuming the river and whether are decent)
Old 05-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
redhawk

The road to Whitehouse is open.

hawk
Old 05-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
Trapper

Anyone availalble to hike Whitehouse to Piseco for trail maintenance before 6/1/08?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
Anyone availalble to hike Whitehouse to Piseco for trail maintenance before 6/1/08?
Trail maintainence must be done by authorized people.

Hawk
Old 05-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
Trapper

I signed up with ADK to be the trail steward from Piseco to Whitehouse on the NPT. Volunteers can accompany the steward for trail maintenance. I probably won't get to actual trail maintenance until June, but I hope to gather a few interested people to accompany me before then to check out the trail.

Hope your trip out West is a great one. I'll be passing by your place to check out the vittles sometime.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
jah

So it is possible to drive all the way to the Whitehouse NPT Trailhead from Wells on the West River Road? What is the road like?
jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah View Post
So it is possible to drive all the way to the Whitehouse NPT Trailhead from Wells on the West River Road? What is the road like?
From June 1st to december 1st the road to Whitehouse is open all the way to the end.

it's passable with a 2 wheel drive low clearance car.

if there has been a LOT of rain, you may encounter muddy conditions.

hawk