Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #21
Navig8r

Those of you with signal problems should be aware that all units are not created equal. I have a Garmin Vista C, and a a friend has a Garmin Legend. Outside, they appear the same. BUT... I will get great reception, with 9-20 ft. accuracy, and he will lose signal. I was discussing this with a retailer, and was informed Garmin changed antennas a few years back. ( I have the better one )
So be aware that different models, older models, etc. may have less effective antennas or receivers, making them less effective in reduced-signal areas, such as valleys, under dense tree cover, heavy weather, etc...
Old 08-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #22
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I, too, have a Garmin 60CSx. I just used it last week in a very heavy full cover bushwhack. Never once lost the signal.
And on the subject of sharing GPS points:
I introduce a lot of people to the world of wilderness canoe camping. I try to let these folks travel on their own, so not to ruin their sense of discovery. BUT, I make sure that they are well informed and have complete maps and guides to the areas that they enter, anything less would be negligence on my part. And there are plenty of times when I venture into an area that is new to me, I want complete maps and guides, so I know what to prepare for. Does that preparation spoil my sense of discovery??? No, it gives me comfort and confidence. So what is the difference from a location picked from a map or the specific waypoint for that location? No difference, save for an increased level of accuracy, maybe.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #23
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I have a Garmin Rino. Older chip. never lose signal. One of the things i learned is that the higher you wear the gps, the better the reception. I have a velcro loop I put on my backpack strap and and the gps ends up at about ear level. My accuracy? Usually within 10 feet. I have never had a problem with reseption under the canopy in the Adirondacks.

HAwk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote