Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Bozzie14
Administrator

piseco-placid

We are going to be doing the NPT from Piseco to Placid starting 10/6-10/13. At a reasonable pace came this be completed in that time frame? And during that trip, what are some good spots to stay on the trail? What is the one piece of equipment you were most happy you brought with you? Thanks for any input
Bozzie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
RiseAboveHiker

Anything's possible. For those many days I figure you'll have to go at an average of 12 miles per day, which is doable. Your first day will be the hardest as the trail from Piseco to Spruce Lake is uphill. Other than the leg of the trip from Tirell Pond to Rt 28 the rest of the trip is more or less flat.

My favorite spots have been: South Lake, Beaver Flow, Cedar Lake, Cold River, Duck Hole. Wanika Falls is worth the slight detour on a sidetrail to check it out.

Best peice of equipment I'm glad I brought: camera.
RiseAboveHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Backpacker

I did the NP trail over a 3 year time span, the side trip to Wanika Falls is well worth it. We stayed at the Moose Pound Lean-to the 1st night out, then Ouluska Leanto the 2nd night. Duck hole is also worth a long rest time. My best part was from Placid to Long Lake, the Cold river has the best water on the entire trail. The section from Long lake to rt 28 has the highest point of the trail so it was the hardest but all in all not that bad. We were camped at Tirell pound when an earthquake struck, that was awsome!!. The West Canada Lake Area has some good trout fishing.

Dido on the best peice of equipment my camera.
Backpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
alombard

Stay at the middle lean-to on Spruce Lake....#2 I think....beautiful spot! It has a nice grassy area on the lake shore for a tent. The lean-to is very nice as well. One of my favorite spots on the entire trail.

Also, when you arrive at Moose Pond, (south of the end)...water was a little tricky to come by...the pond is very muddy/swampy when I went. Plus, its a bit of a hike from the lean-to. Fill up before you get to Moose Pond, if you are going to camp there.

Have fun

AL
-alombard #5624W
alombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
Rock

There is a spring by the 3rd lean-to, itís in between the lean-to and the trail.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:28 AM   #6
sky
defender of newtbears

The floor of Spruce #2 is questionable (unless it was repaired in the past 60 days)....but the area is fantastic. So, if you're planning on sleeping in the LT, either sleep exactly int he middle of it or hit #3. There are 2 decent tent spots and a bunch of really great places to put up a hammock
Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Bozzie14
Administrator

Thanks for the replies. A camera is a given, especially this time of the year. I typically do a lot of hiking with out trekking poles, but some people think I should use them. Always thought they were more added weight, cause I really never used them. But this is my first extended hike. Also I was going to bring a 25 degree sleeping bag, but will switch to a warmer one. Extended forecast is looking cool. Any other suggestions of places to stay or avoid is appreciated.
Bozzie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
soco7tyx7

i know you wont have time to stay there, but Fall Stream is a nice spot. also i would stay at the Seward lean-to at Miller Falls on the cold river. Its a great spot even if it is too cold to swim. Cedar Lakes is beautiful, and if you're averaging 12 miles a day it's a little short of that for a possible second night in, but the beaver flow lean-to is really nice and you get a sun rise right into the lean-to. i dont know your itinerary but South Lake is really nice, but the trail to the lean-to is really easy to miss b/c it forks backwards as you hike north, but if you hit the bridge you've gone too far. good luck and have a great time! i know i did.

-Jon
soco7tyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky View Post
The floor of Spruce #2 is questionable (unless it was repaired in the past 60 days)....but the area is fantastic. So, if you're planning on sleeping in the LT, either sleep exactly int he middle of it or hit #3.
We stayed at #2 this past weekend and the floor was still falling through. We did a half-assed fix with logs cut to length to help hold up the floor, but it still needs to be repaired properly. --Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote