Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
kstriker09

Current NPT Conditions

Hello,
I am planning a week-long trip hiking the NPT from May 26 to June 3, and I was wondering where I could get the most up to date information on the conditions of the trail, the weather in the area, and (perhaps most importantly) the severity of the Black Flies. Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
kstriker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

For the weather, you can get a 15 day forecast for the area HERE

Up to date trail conditions Here
and of course on the forums.

Black Flies: Unpredictable so far this year. Late in hatching. However, my best guess is to make sure that you bring netting, repellent and someone who attracts insects more then you do.

Bring gaiters and plenty of dry socks and waterproof your boots well.

Have a nice hike.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

I can't answer about trail conditions (I'm in the Poconos of Pa.), but I do know from past experience that black fly season in the ADKs is in full swing by late May-early June historically - so that will be a major issue for you.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Kevin
**BANNED**

The first 5 miles of the southern section is snow-free. Water crossings were all normal. Unfortunately the NPT goes through a wide variety of areas and the trail conditions from mile to mile change greatly. Until folks like yourself complete it and report back we won't know about blowdown, beaver activity, flooding, or other issues. So be sure to report issues when you return .
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
alpha60

I was on parts of the NPT in the West Canada wilderness last week. There is a ton of blowdown, the crossing on what I think is West Canada creek was sketchy (bridge out, crossing above a waterfall) and there were miles of snow and mud. There were virtually no bugs.
alpha60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
kstriker09

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I will be sure to report back to the forum the conditions of the trail as soon as we get back. Last year when we hiked (August 9th-20th) there were virtually no flies at all, so I'll be sure to prepare for them this year. Again, thank you all so much for your help, I really appreciate it!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
ccockrell
Danger Mouse

I talked to the DEC ranger in Northville Thursday. He has a team out clearing blow down from Benson north to Piseco so you should have a pretty good hike at least that far. He said there has also been a team out farther north doing the same type of clean up. I was interested in the trail conditions from Wakely Dam north for the same week you plan. The black flies have definately come out. Happy Hiking!
Old 06-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
ccockrell
Danger Mouse

I went out expecting to thru hike the trail starting 5/29. Too bad for me. I had some problem, torn muscle or what ever, the first day out. Trail was fine, I just develped some problem, calf and thigh first day. I decided to go on, big mistake. Had to turn off at the trail junction and head to Blue Mountain Lake because of the injury. 5 miles on a bum leg but because of the detour saw a black bear! So cool and sooooo scary! The trail was easy, just had problems because I was going faster than I was used to. I'll be back end of June.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #9
ccockrell
Danger Mouse

Sorry, leg pain clouding judgement, but the trail from Wakely Dam thru
Tirrell Pond was in IMHO easy. I'm not sure why my leg gave out other than pure speeding thru but, best of luck to those going thru. From the lean-to register at Tirrell Pond, several people are thru hiking the NPT in May. Hope they're having/had a great time.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
kstriker09

We got back from our trip last week and had a really good time. However, the black flies were absolutely horrific!! I strongly suggest DEET and bug netting for anyone hiking from Piseco to Wakely Dam. The trail itself was a little muddy but it was nothing we couldn't pass though. Good luck and happy hiking to every one!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
RC
Woods Runner

Anyone have any new trail conditions ? I'm planning a solo thru hike next week.

RC
Old 07-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC View Post
Anyone have any new trail conditions ? I'm planning a solo thru hike next week.

RC
I walked about 4 miles along the east side of Long Lake a week ago and it was in excellent shape.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #13
RC
Woods Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I walked about 4 miles along the east side of Long Lake a week ago and it was in excellent shape.

Thanks. I overnighted in the silver lake area this weekend and it's VERY dry. When you figure the amount of rain we had this week it shows just how dry it really is right now.

RC
Old 07-24-2007, 06:28 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

It's also very dry and open near Cedar River Flow.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #15
madison

I'm hiking the NPT from Benson to Wakely Dam starting Monday and I'm wondering if anyone has any info on that section. I just did the stretch from the Carry Lean-to to Cedar Lakes and I know that the blow-down there has recently been cleared.

I heard there was a lot of blowdown in the Silver Lake Wilderness stretch, although the person who told me that also said their info was several months old. Anyone have more current information?

Also, does the trail pass close to a general store or some similiar place to re-supply in Piseco?
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #16
RC
Woods Runner

The trail is pretty much clear from end to end. I few blow downs and some wet spots, but nothing bad that you wouldn't expect on a 125mile trail. They are doing trail maintenance near the moose pond lean-to. There is a store right where you come out in Piseco called Casey's. Those of you that might remember it from before will be happy to know it is now owned by new people. It is a very friendly place with a better selection of items. They even have a small selection of microwaveable foods. Of course Madison already now knows this since I saw him after he had passed the store.

RC
Old 08-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #17
Kevin
**BANNED**

Thanks for the updates folks . BHA is putting in paperwork to adopt the carry to cedar lakes stretch, knowing the major blow downs are cleared helps us a lot in preparation for the Fall '07 sweep. (assuming there's no major storms between now and then)
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote