Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Kevin
**BANNED**

NPT trailwork October 2007 - 2 sections

This coming October (2007) there is work scheduled for 2 sections of the NPT.

Quote:
October 6 and 7, 2007 - Trail clearing from Carry Lean-to to Cedar Lakes on the Northville Placid Trail. This is the BHA's first adoption of a section of trail and we will be doing a sweep and assessing any additional needs the trail might have for future work. It is our understanding a major sweep was done early summer 2007 so we don't expect to clear anything too large. One group is expected to start at Carry Lean-to (accessing via Cedar River flow) and the other will hike in from a base camp at Cedar Lakes. Please email us if you're interested and from which direction you plan to start so we can email you with exact details later.

October 20, 2007 - Fall sweep from the start of the Northville Placid Trail to Rock Lake. Meeting at 10AM at the Benson trailhead for the NPT. This is done semi-annually and was cleared earlier in 2007.
Details will be added as needed:

http://www.backcountryheritage.com/when.htm

Last edited by Kevin; 08-22-2007 at 04:21 PM..
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
sky
defender of newtbears

For the Benson -> Rock sweep, things shouldn't be too bad. Maybe 2-3 places that could be cleared, one large log that you have to climb over. But, a request, if I may. Past Rock there are 2 blown down trees that are completely obstructing the trail. One you can walk through (easy now that the leaves are finally dying) and the other you have to walk completely around. They are maybe 1 or 1.25 miles from the RL turnoff (don't remember the distance) but it's not quite to Meco.

I'm gonna try to make the cleanup. I'll know if I can in 2 weeks. But, just an idea.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky View Post
For the Benson -> Rock sweep, things shouldn't be too bad. Maybe 2-3 places that could be cleared, one large log that you have to climb over. But, a request, if I may. Past Rock there are 2 blown down trees that are completely obstructing the trail. One you can walk through (easy now that the leaves are finally dying) and the other you have to walk completely around. They are maybe 1 or 1.25 miles from the RL turnoff (don't remember the distance) but it's not quite to Meco.

I'm gonna try to make the cleanup. I'll know if I can in 2 weeks. But, just an idea.
we'll see how long it takes to complete our sweep of the trail. we have to use hand tools (i.e., no chainsaws) to cut blowdown, so the large stuff is usually left for the DEC ranger. If I can get the GPS coordinates, I'll send them to the ranger.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 AM   #4
sky
defender of newtbears

They are actually not large trees, maybe about 5-6 inches in diameter? It's just the branchy tops are blocking the trail (drat you maples). If a few really bold people wanted to just drag it off to the side, I'm sure it could be done. It seems to have happened with a few other small downed trees this season.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

October 20, 2007 - Fall sweep from the start of the Northville Placid Trail to Rock Lake. Meeting at 10AM at the Benson trailhead for the NPT. This is done semi-annually and was cleared earlier in 2007.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote