Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
ccbyrnes
Administrator

Question Trailhead Parking lots

I have read in the new Northville-Placis guide book, that they (the authors) have experienced damage/vandalizism to their cars left at trailhead parking lots when left there for extended periods of time. Has anyone else experienced this. I am interested mostly in the Averyville parking lot in Lake Placid and leaving a car there for 2 weeks or more.

Thanks,
ccbyrnes
Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
alombard

I left my car in the Averyville Parking lot for a few days last summer....no problems. In fact, I have never had a problem with vandalizism like you speak of in the ADKs (knock on wood). I'm sure someone has though. The only time I have heard about something like this was in NH.
-alombard #5624W
alombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Deadeye

It happens. So far, not to me, but I've seen one (and only one, come to think of it) car with a smashed rear window. Just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some suggest leaving nothing in sight, and the glove box open (disconnect the light!) to discourage theives, but that still leaves you vulnerable to mischief.

Unfortunately, you parks your car, you takes your chances.
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
fvrwld

I left my car at the Averyville trailhead for 11 days with no problem. I've never had a problem anywhere in the Adirondacks. Once I went into the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness for 3 nights, leaving my car parked at the Putnam Pond trailhead. When I got back I realized I forgot to roll up one of my windows. My truck cab was full of cobwebs but nothing was missing.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Tom McG

I never had a problem in the Adirondacks. Once, at the Loj, I left my keys in the door lock and the window open (I know … dumb-ass) during a two day trip in the High Peaks and nothing was touched. I also left a Leki hiking pole on my roof at the Elk Lake trailhead and found it untouched when I returned.
On the other hand, when I was hiking in the Whites, as I was just coming back to the parking lot I observed a car with two young guys cruse the lot. When they saw me they quickly drove off. I took down there license plate numbers and passed it along to the Ranger. He called me later that week and said they stopped the car and found a large amount of stolen gear in their car.
The difference between the Adirondacks and the White’s or just dumb luck? I don’t know, but in my 30+ years of hiking in the Adirondacks I have never met anyone who had anything happen to their cars.
Tom McG
Old 02-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Bill I.

I know someone who had his truck broken into at Lows Lower Dam last summer. This was a very respectful and selective thief. They carefully jimmied open a window on the cap and took only an LL Bean sleeping bag, then closed the window again. Although out of sight, there were also quite a few carpentry tools and personal items in the truck that weekend, but this particular person only needed a sleeping bag.

For the most part, though, these are rare occurrences. I have returned from trips to discover I never locked my car doors, without anything turning up missing.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote