Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
hillman1
skiing demi-god

Duck hole to Moose pond

Just want to let everyone know that this section of trail is in horrible condition. No chance of getting through with dry feet, it has changed alot in two years since I've been there. We made about 2-3 miles per hour on the entire rest of the trail, but slowed to 1 mph through here. It was really a heartbeaker section of trail after being out for 8 days. Moose pond to averyville was pretty good though. Really the only section along the entire route that was in bad condition. There are sections of 4 to 5 tier beaver dams happening out there. Parts of the trail go onto the dams, and the flagging for reroutes is the only way through--if you miss a section, it will be very noticable very quick.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Navig8r

I was there in late July '06... It was a BAD stretch of trail!!!
And we hit it on a rainy day...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
ccockrell
Danger Mouse

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillman1 View Post
Just want to let everyone know that this section of trail is in horrible condition. No chance of getting through with dry feet, it has changed alot in two years since I've been there. We made about 2-3 miles per hour on the entire rest of the trail, but slowed to 1 mph through here. It was really a heartbeaker section of trail after being out for 8 days. Moose pond to averyville was pretty good though. Really the only section along the entire route that was in bad condition. There are sections of 4 to 5 tier beaver dams happening out there. Parts of the trail go onto the dams, and the flagging for reroutes is the only way through--if you miss a section, it will be very noticable very quick.
Guy,
When I went thru there last year I was in tears. Overgrown trail, rain, mosquitos, black flies, beaver dams! I still shake.
Danger Mouse
Old 06-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
hillman1
skiing demi-god

We were actually on a final push to the car, and this section was so bad we ended up staying at Moose pond lean to, even though we were out of food. I think as a flagship section of trail(NPT) it might need some DEC attention, or a reroute to avoid that entire area. It is beyond maintenance, it is like an abandoned trail.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
uberTurtle
Ruffian

Wasn't bad with the reroute....

.....went through last September. We didn't see the reroute and continued on the old trail, with this being the result.Tim and Rich 014small.jpg Once we spotted the new trail markers Tim and Rich 017small.jpg we tried to block off the wet section Tim and Rich 019small.jpg. Once past this particular area, the section from Moose Pond to Duck Hole wasn't too bad.
uberTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
Brooks

Is the reroute flagging easy to locate? Anything that I and other people should look for when going through here so to catch the reroute instead of the hell-hole you guys are describing?
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Petra

Might be good to know.
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
RC
Woods Runner

I came thru there last august and remember it being a bad area,but I didn't remember it being all that bad or lasting very long...maybe I've just blocked it out. I guess I see it again this august.

RC
Old 07-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

I was there last Sept 07' and it was fine so I'm thinking this must be some new work from the beavers. What I do fondly remember is seeing MANY moose tracks all over the trail on that stretch. There we're also numerous game trails which quickly led to old beaver ponds where the dams looked like they were built a long long time ago.

That area is a nature watching paradise as far as the ADKs go. My guess is that every species in the Dacks has a presence there.

2 pics attached-
1-dried out old beaver damn
2- look closely at moose hoof (flash makes it hard to see) the knife is about 5 inches
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADK907 127.jpg (286.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg ADK907 119.jpg (302.8 KB, 118 views)
DEEPFOREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
Brooks

uh.... that beaver dam is one that has to be crossed??
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
uh.... that beaver dam is one that has to be crossed??
no, this is an old one right off the trail, but it sounds like the beavers have built some new dams which are on the trail and there are flags to direct hikers around it.

bring your leg gaiters for sure.
DEEPFOREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
TCD

The whole trail is supposed to be a flagship, and it's a darn shame the condition that it's in. We through hiked in August 06. We were lucky with the weather, and had a great trip (see report over on Viewsfromthetop.com).

And I read in the most recent issue of Adirondack that the 2009 state budget, while adding some extra $ for land acquisition, cuts almost the entire budget (76% cut) for stewardship and trail maintenance. The budget is going from 22M this year to 5M in 2009.

Hike the NP now. In three years, you won't be able to find it.

TCD
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:02 AM   #13
uberTurtle
Ruffian

It's tough to fight Mother Nature and the beavers are just her eager little helpers. Being a lowland route, it is certainly susceptible to flooding from water levels and wildlife activity. Having seen various sections of the trail over the past several years, it does not seem to be fading into the wilderness. Due to the volunteers that take care of the lean-to's and trail maintenance, it continues to be a well used route. I applaud those that take the time and make the effort to maintain a trail that many of us enjoy. Possibly due to being on this forum more of late, it seems as if the number of through-hikers is increasing.

Happy trails!
uberTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote