Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
sweeper

Different Floodwood-St. Regis Loop ?

I'm planning a 2 night base camp trip with my wife and 2 adult daughter into Floodwood and do loops. The longest one and the one I have the question about would be Floodwood, Polliwog, Hoel, Long and back to Floodwood.
I make it to be somewhere around 10-11 miles, 3 short carries and 2 medium, with just day packs, 2 strong paddlers 2 not so but workers. Any problems, under good conditions, making this loop in a day?
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

No issues as a day trip. But don't forget Middle Pond! You'll need to go through that one.

There are actually 4 short carries, I believe you forgot the one from Hoel to Turtle. You have to get out and go over the railroad tracks or shoot your boat through the drain pipe, but you can't paddle it.

I would cut one of the longer carries and start there and shuttle. So say, you can start at Polliwog, dump the boats, drive back up to Hoel pond parking area and simple walk, without carrying boats, back to Polliwog to start. You could do the same thing at Floodwood and Long, and this is the carry I usually skip. I typically park at Long Pond parking area, do the short carry to Long to start and then end at Floodwood and leave my boat and gear at the launch and go walk up the road to retrieve my vehicle.

I also thing the carry from Hoel to Polliwog is easier. It's about a half mile and there are some ups and downs, but it's a nice clear path with no beaver activity like on the Long Pond carry.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote