Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
bethfit

Lake Kushaqua/Rainbow Lake Access.....

Hi all..

Years ago we accessed Rainbow Lake by putting in at the boat launch on Kushaqua. We were curious if you could put-in and park off Kushaqua-Mud Pond Road? I know there is a spot where the road crosses over the narrows and I believe it is not private property, but we were unsure if it was cool,legal/appropriate to put-in and park(is there room??) there for the day.
Figured we ask the experts....Many Thanks!!!
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
bluequill

I'm not sure of the road names but if you head north out of Onchiota in about a mile and a half you will pass over the narrows.....Rainbow on the left and Kushaqua on the right. You can park on the south east side with boat access on the south west side. There are one or two campsites there also. I think this is what you are talking about. It should be good, I was there a few weeks ago. If you have time, paddle up the North Branch Saranac.

Also, there is a new access on the North Branch that would be nice if you can spot two cars or do a bike drop. After crossing the Narrows turn left on North Branch Road and go a couple of miles until you see DEC signs for parking and access. Probably a three hour trip with a few beaver dams to negotiate.

Last edited by bluequill; 08-07-2017 at 07:54 PM..
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
NEranger21

Yes, you can park along kushaqua mud pond rd..Look for the pull off rite at the bridge (the narrows).
Old 08-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
bethfit

Thanks so much bluequill...Yes that is exactly where I am talking about. The North Branch is a great idea. It's been years since we have been up there.
Thanks again for the insights...Beth

Oh.. just saw your post NEranger21...thank you as well!
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:30 AM   #5
Buckladd

I think there's an local launch at the north end of the lake also. And of course, there's always Buck Pond Campground.