Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
Klinkhamer

Jessup River Paddle Report

Was up there on Sunday afternoon 7/10. Was able to go all the way from Route 30 to Jessup River road. Had to do a few exits from kayak after trying to muscle over some of the beaver dam remnants, and there were two major blow-downs which blocked river entirely, so had to climb around and drag the kayak through the bushes. I did not see any sign that anyone had done that upper section recently. Took couple hours to get to Jessup river road and barely an hour to get back to Route 30, as apart from the Blow downs, you can ride over everything else and current was moving well. I ran into a few people at beginning of trip, but never saw anyone afterward entire day. Found a leech attached to my foot under my Teva strap after I got home. Good times!
Old 07-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #2
Schip

Jessup paddle

Thanks for the TR. I have considered doing this same trip but I had no idea if you could go so far. Now I am going to have to try it.

Kath
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
nutmeg creeker

You can paddle a good distance, but conditions are highly dependent on the water level. Last summer,a dry season entirely, I gave up and turned around just past Whitaker Lake Outlet. 4.5 miles round trip, well over 3 hours of getting in and out of the canoe to work over shallow spots, beaver dams, etc. I would try again this year, if conditions hold and I can work it in. Beautiful trip otherwise.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Klinkhamer

re: Jessup River.

It has rained a few more times since I was here on Sunday. Last night 7/12 they had a tornado warning in region from a big T-Storm. There's going to be water in that river for awhile, but still have to contend with the logjams. Most all the rivers in Adks are pretty high still. Already had a couple drownings since July 3rd, so wear a PFD regardless.