Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
webby459

Reco among: 13th, Lows, Lil Tupper

Looking for recommendations for a paddle-in primitive site. General requirements would be: non-motorized lake, free is a plus, no- or very-short and limited carries, proximity to hiking, loop or out and back paddle. We would be one or two boats, and some permutation of my family of 5, either all 5 or at least me and a kid or two, they are 8 and 10. The boats are 16 foot heavy clunker canoes. We'd be moderate or heavy on the gear. Oh, and East or SE ADKs would be a plus for proximity, we are in Southern Saratoga County. This would likely be a mid week trip, 2-3 nights and 3 days, Tuesday or Wednesday to Friday.

I spent some time today looking at a map, and then cross referencing all the wilderness areas that show up, and then doing a search here on reports. The ones that rise to the top are 13th Lake in the Siamese Ponds, Lows Lake in the Five Ponds, and Little Tupper or environs in the Whitney.

Of these, 13th Lake has a moderate lead in appeal. It's close(r) to us. It's surrounded by DEC land (no camps?). There looks to be a decent amount of associated hiking trails. Any paddle from put in to camp will be long enough to be interesting but short enough to not be brutal, even in wind.

My searches for 13th Lake here didn't come up with much, and even more sparse in trip reports or paddles. Any feedback in general, or specific to the above?

Finally, am I missing anything, whether about these three, or another area I should look at?
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

webby,
Out of the 3 you mentioned above,
13th is the smallest, and there is a private camp near the shore, even though that private holding does not reach the lake, they treat it as if it's their private beach. Most folks have no issue with that and it is a motor free lake. Peaked Mt is a worthy hiking destination.
Lows is a much longer paddle in, with a very short carry around the upper dam. There is a scout camp on Lows, and there can be some motor boat activity from the scouts, and there is also a dirt road leading to the scout camp that is actively used by the scouts. They also may run a generator and use electric lights. Some folks are fine with that, I am not...
Little Tupper Lake also has 2 private holdings and may still (not sure) allow motorboat usage for the landowners only. I have never seen a motorboat on LTL. Be forewarned, if it is windy, it can get dangerously rough. It is about 6 miles from the put in to the end of the lake, there are some very nice sites with natural beaches.

If you poke around on the link to my photos you may find something else that grabs your interest, as well as photos of those other 3 spots...
Old 07-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
webby459

Thanks a lot SG. I think on balance 13th will be best, but I'll keep on looking, and I'll do a follow up.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
Nehasane

13th Lake sounds good for your needs - you do have to wheel/carry everything about 200 yards (fairly smooth & flat) from parking to the water.

Lows itself might be a stretch but you could stop at Hitchins Pond (3 miles in), the only nice hike would be up Lows Ridge (2 miles r-t).

LTL as Stripper says can get choppy & there's not much in the way of interesting hiking unless you like walking old logging roads. Adjacent Round Lake might be a better choice.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote