Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
AvalanchePass

Macomb, South Dix, Grace, Great Slide traverse direction?

Hi,

Think we'll use 2 vehicles and do a traverse this fall. Route via the Great Slide.

Understand that parking at Elk Lake can be an issue so at least one of us may need to do the trek to Clear Pond.

Looks like trail head elevation is 1316 feet at NY 73 and 2053 feet at Elk Lake. So Elk Lake to NY 73 seems to make sense ...

That means descending the Great Slide. Any concerns for novice slide climbers? Either the climb itself or navigating? (We're climbing Bennies Brook this summer).

Most trip reports detail the trail coming in from 73 so would navigating in the other direction be any more difficult?

Which direction would you do it in?

Thanks,
AP
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It's been a pretty long time (over 10 years) since I did it, but remember descending it on snowshoes in winter and not ever finding it to be overly technical or challenging (we didn't have to deal with ice, just snow, which helped). Bring good boots with decent grip.

When I was there, the herd paths in the Boquet drainage weren't the easiest to find and/or follow (granted, it was also winter). I'm sure they are more well established now, but I'd still suggest that if this is your first time hiking away from marked trails, the South Fork Boquet herd path might not be ideal. In any case, I might suggest going in the opposite direction (N to S), so that in any case, if you lose the path, you can just set a compass bearing and bushwhack to the summit. The herd paths from Grace south are much easier to find/follow in any direction.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #3
Trail Boss

Boquet Forks Trail

Study it well because, like DSettahr said, it is unmarked and can be tricky to follow.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:37 AM   #4
rickhart

Well, if you end at the Great Slide, it's easy enough to go down the herd path instead. But it's fun to go up! I would start at 73 and go up that way, and finish at Elk Lake (maybe better to go back from Macomb to the Macomb/S. Dix col and down by Lillian Brook).
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
Well, if you end at the Great Slide, it's easy enough to go down the herd path instead. But it's fun to go up! I would start at 73 and go up that way, and finish at Elk Lake (maybe better to go back from Macomb to the Macomb/S. Dix col and down by Lillian Brook).
Echo that. It is more fun to climb the Great Slide. Been on the Great Slide at least a half dozen times either as part of crossing the whole range or just and out and back to Macomb. I have descended it and it was in wet weather. If you descend it when wet be careful of footing as there is red slime in places....i.e., like on Allen.

Other: The walk out from Grace is more pleasant than from Dix. And definitely easier descend going around the slide via the herd path.

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
AvalanchePass

Appreciate the responses. It seems that whenever I ask this forum to confirm my plans I get the opposite response from what I was expecting.

I figured it was a no-brainer to do it northbound and avoid the extra elevation gain. But it appears that an ascent of the Great Slide is the way to go. I mapped out the southbound trip here.

We don't plan to backtrack to Lilian Brook from Macomb. So southbound means a descent of Macomb slide and overall an extra 700 feet of elevation.

We will have the linked route on our smart phone. I'll try to navigate without it but if things go bad the GPS should get us back on track.

Thanks again,
AP

Last edited by AvalanchePass; 07-27-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Old 07-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
AvalanchePass

Just a few notes note for anyone that stumbles across this thread going forward.

It appears that the Elk Lake trailhead is closed from the next to last Saturday in October to the first Sunday in December for hunting season.

The gate at Clear Pond is closed during this time and remains closed when the trailhead re-opens to the public. The gate re-opens after the spring mud season ends. This closure results in the addition of a two mile road walk from Clear Pond to the normal trailhead parking, or four additional miles for a round trip hike.

The trail crosses private lodge property so be sure to stay on trail until shortly before you reach Slide Brook.

Last edited by AvalanchePass; 07-30-2017 at 12:44 PM..