Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
Klinkhamer

Jones Pond, Osgood Pond & River

Good amount of water in this system still. Jones pond outlet has a lot of lily pads at beginning to get through, but once clear, its an easy paddle to the outlet, across Osgood Pond, then down to the old log & stone dam on the Osgood River. Only had to get out of kayak once on return to Jones Pond to get over a shallow beaver dam remnant. Surprised that I did not run into any boats on Osgood pond, seemed really quiet for a Saturday, just a couple guys fishing on the Osgood river and a few people on Jones outlet on my return. Nice ~11-12 mile paddle from Jones campground and back. If water level drops on Jones outlet much, paddlers will have to contend with several logs just under the surface though.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Did you see a lean-to by the outlet of Osgood Pond? Some maps show one there, I think on the east shore maybe a short distance down river. Never been able to get out there myself to verify if there is one there or not.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:20 PM   #3
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Never any amount of boat traffic on Osgood, only a few camps and they seem to be seldom occupied. Besides, there on that pond for the solitude too. Was up ther a few weeks ago, mid week for several hours and was the only boat (guideboat in this case) on the water.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Klinkhamer

Outlet leanto

I did not notice any lean-to near the outlet. There was a large section of wood, almost looked like a big door, lying on the shore in the bushes near the Jones pond outlet on Osgood. Was that the remnants of said lean-to?
Also noticed a bird box mounted to a tree on the Jones pond outlet that had a circular opening about the size of a frisbee. What kind of bird occupies that?
Old 07-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinkhamer View Post
I did not notice any lean-to near the outlet. There was a large section of wood, almost looked like a big door, lying on the shore in the bushes near the Jones pond outlet on Osgood. Was that the remnants of said lean-to?
Also noticed a bird box mounted to a tree on the Jones pond outlet that had a circular opening about the size of a frisbee. What kind of bird occupies that?
Wood ducks.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
bluequill

Wood duck boxes should only have a 5" to 6" oval opening. Frisbee size is HUGE! Maybe a coon ripped it open to get at the eggs.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote