Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
solve4x
Thankful Every Day!

What's your "Must Do" ADK canoe trip

Question--What canoe trip in the Adirondacks would you recommend to others as a "Must Do"?

The back story to the question...
I finally did it! After years of reading the guidebooks and pouring over the maps, I finally scraped up the determination to do the 9 Carries route in the St. Regis Canoe Area. We had done many day trips and overnights without portages. I longed to do one of the big "classic" Adirondack trips. But the guide books always say to "know your limitations"...good advice I suppose, but sometimes those limitations just need to be overcome or you'll never really know what's possible. As it turned out, we made some good gear decisions, dealt with some crazy weather, held up physically and accomplished more than we thought our bodies could bear. The 4 day trip was better than I even imagined. I would highly recommend the 9 carries as a must do...for the adventure, for the pond hopping scenery, for the plant and animal wild life.
So what trip would you recommend as a must do?
Scott
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." Matthew 10:29 "But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."
Luke 12:7
solve4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
Will Canoe
All Season Explorer

Seven carries, Whitney traverse over to Low's Lake.
Will Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

I can't think of one I wouldn't recommend.

Anywhere in the Whitney or 5 ponds if you haven't been.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Nehasane

Little Tupper to the Oswegatchie at Inlet, via Lila & Lows.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

My dream trip would be something as follows: Little Tupper > Rock > Hardigan > Salmon Lake Outlet > Little Salmon Lake > Lillypad > Mud > Shingle Shanty > Lake Lila > Harrington > Clear > Bog > Lows > Big Deer > Oswegatchie River and downstream to inlet. It'd take the better part of a week (at least, a lightweight canoe would certainly be essential) and would traverse some of the most remote terrain the Adirondacks has to offer.

EDIT: Basically the same trip outline by Nehasane above.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I'll 2'nd, OK 3'rd the Little Tupper to Inlet trip. Did this route in 2013. As I recall it was 68 miles and about 8 miles of portages. Beautiful, wild country. Saw a man and his grandson at the LT put in, a couple canoes way off on Lowes , a couple (he had just finished the NFCT) at High Falls, and passed a forum member and his son at a lean-to on the Oswegatchie, that was it for human encounters, did see though a moose, a bear, deer, beaver, porcupines, eagles, osprey loons etc. etc. I did the trip in 5 days, but was moving along, did get some fishing in most days though.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:21 AM   #7
tenderfoot

Hmmm. I was planning a canoe trip to Canada this weekend but their wilderness seems to be booked up. May try this one. Or at least part of it - out and back. That way we can decide how far to go.

Any thoughts on which end to start at? Otherwise I will see how far you can get in each before you hit a portage more than 1 mile and start with that.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I've been staying away from this thread since my paddling preferences don't line up with most others...

But if I were to recommend a "must do" for the average ADK paddler, I would have to go with the Lila-Bog River Flow route. Carries are manageable, most of the paddling is thoroughly enjoyable, and campsites are plentiful.

For myself, I'm still trying to work out a Rock Lake-Rock River-Cedar River-Hudson River loop. Or maybe an Essex Chain-Rock-Cedar through trip, maybe with the Hudson too (depending on water levels).
And a Terror Lake in and out via Andy's Creek and Big Moose.
Lastly, a Browns Tract-Shallow Lake-Sucker Brook-Raquette Lake loop.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Stripperguy I would be interested in the Terror lake trip , I;ve done it years ago
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble

Mine was the trip from Newcomb to Indian lake. Make sure that you do it in early summer before low water.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #11
mgc

Yeah...talk about not lining up...I want to do the entire Raquette to the St. Lawrence. I've done most of in sections but the idea is to do it all in one shot. It will clearly be a PITA due to the sections that are dammed and other sections that have reduced flow due to the pipeline. There are no or really long carries in many places and some sections are simply impossible due to the crazy nature of the river. The section right below the dam in Hannawa comes to mind.
Then I want to finish the St. Lawrence out to the Gaspe.....
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:51 AM   #12
Swamp Booger

While I have paddled the Oswegatchie River to High Falls at least 3 times, I would love to paddle it with my wife. We have been hoping to do so this Labor Day weekend, but other matters may take precedence.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #13
Scooter_Canoe

I did my "Must Do" trip this year, which seems to be on most people's list here... Little Tupper to the Oz. We spent 7 days 6 nights, and were able to take our time doing it. Spent 2 nights on Lila and 2 on Lows, giving us time to hike up Mt Fedrica and Grass Pond Mt. Did this with my wife and dog and we loved it. We did have some rainy days, but that only made us appreciate the days where we had full sun.

I meant to get a trip report out here, but been so darn busy. I hope to get one up for this in the next month.

PS: I heard so much complaining about the Portage from Lows to the Oz. I'd rather do that portage any day over the portage from Rock to Harrdigan. Maybe its different in lower water, but man those beaver dams were a pain. Thankfully my wife and i purchase some Keen water shoes before the trip, which let us keep our boots semi dry.
Scooter_Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue line, nine carries, srca