Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many ADK 46r peaks have you climbed and do you expect to climb them all?
1 25 4.96%
2-9 153 30.36%
10-19 93 18.45%
20-29 42 8.33%
30-39 42 8.33%
40-45 17 3.37%
46 56 11.11%
46* - Plus MacNaughton 42 8.33%
I intend to complete all 46. (Yea) 302 59.92%
I do NOT intend to complete all 46. (Nay) 51 10.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #41
adirobdack46r

With what I chose for a screen name I BETTER do all 46. I felt a little guilty picking the name before completing the 46 but unless I'm stricken with an injury or illness nothing else is going to stop me and I wanted to grab the name before someone else might think of it.

It all started with my wife and I (her uncle completed the 46 in the 50s). Angie and I started out great but then we decided to start a family. Wanting to still hike but not wanting to go on ahead of her on the list I did two seasons of do-overs. That was getting old, never seeing my numbers increase. I hope with all my hearth that my wife decides to get back in to it with me, I very much enjoy our time together in the high peaks but she just is not as in to it as I am right now and at the same time I realy want my patch so she just recently gave me the OK to finish them without her. Now I am trying to make for lost time. I'm at 32 but don't plan on sitting at any one number for any length of time. I love my little son but having a family certainly changes things. In a few years I can get him started and I hope to do all 46 all over again with him by my side.
adirobdack46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #42
adirobdack46r

As I mentioned above about hopefully not sitting at any one number too long. I got out and did three more this past weekend, now at 35.
adirobdack46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #43
AdkWalrus

Tied me already. I suppose you'll be passing me before I hit the trails again next summer?
AdkWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:56 PM   #44
Snohm Eizer

McNaughton

I climbed McNaughton, and really liked that climb last winter. Is that so wrong?
Snohm Eizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #45
dog

Long time ago we could see , who is who , pointing at 2nd from right column ... -( .
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #46
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog View Post
Long time ago we could see , who is who , pointing at 2nd from right column ... -( .
Not sure what happened. Looking into it...

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:34 PM   #47
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Not sure what happened. Looking into it...

Dick
The poll was somehow changed from a 'public' to a 'private' poll, and I am told that, as such, it can no longer can be altered, even by administrators. Sorry.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #48
JD

Hiking Partners/Groups

Can someone tell me what the best method/forum would be to find other people or small groups who might want to do some high peak hikes (beginner/intermediate). Interested in mid week hikes mostly, maybe some weekends. thanks!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #49
C4C
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirobdack46r View Post
With what I chose for a screen name I BETTER do all 46. I felt a little guilty picking the name before completing the 46 but unless I'm stricken with an injury or illness nothing else is going to stop me and I wanted to grab the name before someone else might think of it.

It all started with my wife and I (her uncle completed the 46 in the 50s). Angie and I started out great but then we decided to start a family. Wanting to still hike but not wanting to go on ahead of her on the list I did two seasons of do-overs. That was getting old, never seeing my numbers increase. I hope with all my hearth that my wife decides to get back in to it with me, I very much enjoy our time together in the high peaks but she just is not as in to it as I am right now and at the same time I realy want my patch so she just recently gave me the OK to finish them without her. Now I am trying to make for lost time. I'm at 32 but don't plan on sitting at any one number for any length of time. I love my little son but having a family certainly changes things. In a few years I can get him started and I hope to do all 46 all over again with him by my side.
I don't think that you will have a problem with someone taking your user name-- I have never seen adirondack spelled with a b before.
C4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #50
unadogger
Likes to hike

I'm having such a great time! I've got such strong hiking momentum now, that I'm afraid to do anything else on my days off! Hoping to have 23-26 done by my Bday later this July. Also hoping for a Haystack finish before winter. Yeah, I'm motivated!!!

:-)
unadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #51
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by unadogger View Post
Also hoping for a Haystack finish before winter.

Hiking doesn't stop for everyone after the first snow fall...

Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #52
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Hiking doesn't stop for everyone after the first snow fall...

I bet she wants to finish before winter so she can start afresh on the 46-W.

Actually, she could squeeze in a fall round of the 46 just to maintain her fitness level. Let's see...13 weekends, 46 peaks. The math is beautifully simple. Go unadogger!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #53
Johnnycakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head View Post
Done em all + MacNaughton...Working on sledding 46 now
Head,

We should try to get together for a sled hike this winter. I've been doing sled descents for some time, and while I don't aspire to sled down all of the 46 peaks, I have compiled a short list of my favorite sled descents. Big Slide was one of my favorites. I've also gone down Nippletop (quite good from the summit to Elk Pass), Giant, Phelps, Sawteeth, and a few others I think.

Although they're not among the 46 (or even close for that matter), Hadley & Prospect are two of my favorite sled descents. I live in South Glens Falls so these are short drives, another big plus. Hadley is a great beginner sled hike and you can go a solid mile without having to get out of your sled. This is good to know in case you are trying to recruit others to your cause. Prospect is one of the best sled runs of all time (in my opinion anyway), continuously steep with some good turns thrown in here and there. The other nice thing about these two hikes is that you get a good sled time to hike time ration (unlike Allen for example).

I'm slowly building up my skills for a sled down the Trap Dike if you're game.

John

PS The Trap Dike was a joke, just in case the drunk smiley didn't give it away.
Johnnycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #54
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycakes View Post
PS The Trap Dike was a joke, just in case the drunk smiley didn't give it away.
**edit - ****, you made me go and edit my careless backcountry lecture post **

Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #55
MikeinMaryland

So when I was maybe about 10 years old (I'm 23 now) my father and I went to Grace Hudowalski's house and registered the peaks we had climbed. I haven't really kept up to date with it since, how do I update the 46er club and does anyone know if they would have kept my records on file?
MikeinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #56
eddogg12
...46 or Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmaryland
So when I was maybe about 10 years old (I'm 23 now) my father and I went to Grace Hudowalski's house and registered the peaks we had climbed. I haven't really kept up to date with it since, how do I update the 46er club and does anyone know if they would have kept my records on file?
The best thing to do is write in and mention it. Not sure if they would or not. Address the letter just to the Office of the historian and explain the situation. If they don't have the record and if you can recall the peaks you climbed and a rough date then that would be good. At the end of the day it works on the honor system. The exact times and dates and aren't necessary.
eddogg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #57
adk-46r
IT'S GRACE & CARSON PEAKS

write to
office of the Historian

po box 9046

Schenectady,ny 12309-0046

If it is not active it should be in the archive files
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
adk-46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #58
phoenixfighter

I have 18 peaks so far. Since I live Switzerland I don't really have too many opportunities to go hiking in the High Peaks. However, in June I will return to the Adirondacks and hopefully I will be able to do at least 6 more. I'm really looking forward to this.
phoenixfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #59
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I climbed several back in the 80's , haven't added any since then though. I've been up up Marcy several times with various friends that wanted tohike up the NY high point though. Favorite trip up marcy was with my son when he was 6 years old. Now 15 he has reached the high points in 12 states in the northeast (if WV, PA & MD are NE). Anyway , we recently bought a place in the Adirondacks and my son wants to do more climbing up there so we'll be adding more peaks in the next couple of years. I think completing the 46 will be a goal in a few years when my wife and I retire up north and have easy access to the high peaks.

John M. A Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:06 AM   #60
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Update:

Still at 41.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote