No announcement yet.

How do you recreate in the Adirondacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you really think that's true? I can only speak for myself. I checked flatwater paddling, hiking, and peakbagging (and would have added x-c skiing). [/QUOTE]

Where's there good x-country skiing? I've only heard of downhill up there?

Comment

Originally posted by bassanglers912 View Post
      Do you really think that's true? I can only speak for myself. I checked flatwater paddling, hiking, and peakbagging (and would have added x-c skiing).
      Where's there good x-country skiing? I've only heard of downhill up there?[/QUOTE]

It's everywhere. Just google it or check the following links. http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ny/ski_adir.htm

Our Adirondack resort and hotel near North Creek is open year-round and offers on-site dining, cross-country skiing, mountain biking, cozy lodging, and more.

Enjoy!
      Steve

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander

Comment

poll

Yeah I have to ski....that would be on the top of my list. I found some great rather open bushwack ski decents around LL this past winter. But interesting bushwacking beat out peakbagging. Are we saying it's thick up there or maybe the poll isn't finished yet.

Comment

winter?

hmmm, you must not be a winter person . . you are missing snowshoeing, cross country skiing, back country skiing, downhill skiing, ice skating,

Missing camping, birding, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil
            I thought it would be interesting to see what type of recreation forum members partake in in the Adirondacks. Also, realizing that many members live in the Adirondacks I included that as a poll choice. You can choose more than one response and your response is private.

If I missed your activity sorry but I ran out of poll choices.
            Another activity takes a while to explain. Every July,I head up to Chateaugay Lake near Lyon MT.AND FILL AT LEAST 20 EMPTY POLAND SPRING WATER CONTAINERS WITH THE BEST SPRING-FED WATER EVER,IMO.
            The water comes out of the pipes and covered by a blue roof on Sunset Road.Always cold and last I knew-still free. Another activity is chopping wood for fireplace and old kitchen stove. Still,hiking is the best activity for me and my family. Looncry

Comment

where is the camping catogary,i like to backpack the adks but with a new family i will stick to car camping for a while

Comment

Originally posted by walleyehunter View Post
                where is the camping catogary,i like to backpack the adks but with a new family i will stick to car camping for a while
                When my sons were four and five and a half, I would take the seats out of our Town and country van ahead of time and when we reached ADKS campgrounds,they would sleep in the van.I would set up two-man tent and Paul would work all day,meet us there[Limekiln site#119] Happy days...Looncry

Comment

Camping? Hiking and paddling are secondary requirements for that for me. And fishing is a nice bonus.

Rarely if ever do I go to the dacks specifically to fish, hike, or paddle in of themselves. However I also never go and not do at least 2 of those things if not all 3.

Comment

Just noticed this thread, the recreational opportunities listed are all summer fall activities, I paddle flat and whitewater, hike, climb, camp, and flyfish and some years bird hunt. But I also X/C and backcountry ski and occasionally tellemark ski at down hill areas , oh yes I occasionally snowshoe as well.
                    And I've been known to just lay on my back at night and just watch the sky.

John M.
                    Because It's There, and it may not be tomorrow

Comment

"Another activity takes a while to explain. Every July,I head up to Chateaugay Lake near Lyon MT.AND FILL AT LEAST 20 EMPTY POLAND SPRING WATER CONTAINERS WITH THE BEST SPRING-FED WATER EVER,IMO.
                      The water comes out of the pipes and covered by a blue roof on Sunset Road"

I believe that's the same spring that Redhawk tasted recently while guiding a group into the wilds. After tasting it he spit it out and said, "Hmmmm Buffalo ahead"!
                      Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
                        "Another activity takes a while to explain. Every July,I head up to Chateaugay Lake near Lyon MT.AND FILL AT LEAST 20 EMPTY POLAND SPRING WATER CONTAINERS WITH THE BEST SPRING-FED WATER EVER,IMO.
                        The water comes out of the pipes and covered by a blue roof on Sunset Road"
                        Clearly you haven't tasted the water coming from the tap at Random Scoots.
                        Scooting here and there
                        Through the woods and up the peaks
                        Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

"Random Scoots" sounds like a condition resulting from drinking that famous water recommended by Drunken Hines.
                          Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
                            "Random Scoots" sounds like a condition resulting from drinking that famous water recommended by Drunken Hines.
                            I'll have to mention that in my advertisements.
                            Scooting here and there
                            Through the woods and up the peaks
                            Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

I think my third was recreated in the park.... but this another activity for another poll... LOL

I have bar hopped across sections, though mostly in the distant past... every bar back from Old Forge... ( there used to be more then now) I stumbled in to the Stumble Inn...Ahh but thise were the days.

Snowmobiling would be another recreational use, as well as general boating, snowshoe, CC, . Downhill skiing.. But I get why these types of activities were chosen- no criticism intended.

We combine trips. So in one trip I might check off quite a few of these! Ie: we party barge into a site on Stillwater dragging canoes, then from that base camp, we hit Salmon, Drop canoes up there, ... fish the creek back, hike into town! LOL and hit the Maple ridge of The Norridgewock Lodge. Next day, we hike back to Salmon, pick up stashed canoes and carry to Witchopple, perhaps some of the side ponds (bushwacking) . Or on a canoe trip to Lows, establish a base camp. Then day hike carry to Fishpole, Tamarack, Big Deer, etc. . Bushwack to Halfmoon and to the top of Grass Pond Mountain. Fishing the lake in the evening, etc.

So not just one thing on a trip practically ever.

Comment

Hiking and backpacking are "the same but different". Many more hikers then there are backpackers.
                                Are you hiding in the shadows - forget the pain, forget the sorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X