Hoffman Mt 8/11/2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoffman Mt 8/11/2018

Been quite a long while since I've actually written up a trip report. Summer has been busy and many of the trips I've made were ones not worth sharing.... or ones that were too good to share Today's trip had me notching off another hundred highest with the side benefit of exploring an area that is new to me.

I hit the Big Pond Trail Head in the Hoffman Wilderness shortly before 8. There was not a single car there so I knew I had the right place. On my way in to Big Pond I noticed some flagging in a couple spots - a quick recon confirmed that a trail crew has been making some progress on some new trails from the UMP. I took a quick break at the campsite at Big Pond for one last map check before wandering into the woods.

Being relatively new to the off trail game, Hoffman Mt was to be the longest bushwhack I've attempted. So I figured the nice ridge line route with its straightforward navigation would be a good approach. The ridge was fairly open the whole way with alternating deciduous and conifers. Many stretches had on and off herd paths or game trails making travel enjoyable at times As I neared the summit, I was greeted with copious amounts of Moose scat. Stepping around it became a little bit of a chore at times - but at least there was not a single Charmin Bloom!

The summit came and went with the only views coming from lower down the ridge. A couple light rain showers on the hike out were quite refreshing! With so many places to explore, I'm sure the remaining 32 on my list will take some time.

Very nice! I've thought about hiking the ADKHH as well to help get me to explore places I might not get to otherwise, so your reports are quite interesting and helpful.

Comment

It always amazes me that people report so much moose poop up on summits. WTH are those moose doing up there? What are they eating?

I know they can eat spruce and fir needles, but I don't think they are particularly nutritious. A lot more tasty stuff for a moose down low in the wetlands.

Maybe they just head up there to defecate?

Comment

Good report! I really like Hoffman mountain - I was able to see Killington and Pico in Vermont really well from a peak out view when I was up there. Definitely a long whack, but not too dense when coming up the southern ridge.

Moose traditionally hang out in the higher elevations. I'm not sure why that is, perhaps they prefer a colder climate.
        Spencer Bigfoot

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
          It always amazes me that people report so much moose poop up on summits. WTH are those moose doing up there? What are they eating?

I know they can eat spruce and fir needles, but I don't think they are particularly nutritious. A lot more tasty stuff for a moose down low in the wetlands.

Maybe they just head up there to defecate?
          Maybe they adhere to the old adage of not pooping where you eat.

Comment

Originally posted by malexander View Post
            I took a quick break at the campsite at Big Pond for one last map check before wandering into the woods.
            That tree looks pretty sketchy. Not sure I'd want to set up my tent under it!

Comment

True dat! Looks like it could be front door for Mr Critter as well!

Comment

Working...
              X